Rotterdam Passenger Lists 1899-1954
Map of Rotterdam Harbor circa 1908. GGA Image ID # 1757f2bf74
Rotterdam is the second-largest city in the Netherlands and one of the largest ports in the world. Rotterdam's commercial and strategic importance is based on its location near the mouth of the Nieuwe Maas (New Meuse), a channel in the delta formed by the Rhine and Meuse on the North Sea. These rivers lead directly into the centre of Europe, including the industrial Ruhr region.
Digitized Passenger Lists for the Port of Rotterdam
- Port of Rotterdam Passenger Lists 1899-1914
- Port of Rotterdam Passenger Lists 1915-1929
- Port of Rotterdam Passenger Lists 1930-1954
Between the years 1888 and 1893, the essential works west of " Spoorweghaven," connected with the afore-said basin, were carried out.
The main point, ever borne in mind, was never to do more than was strictly necessary, but on the other hand, it was often found difficult to meet the increasing demand for haven space.
Originally Rhine Haven was 3 meters under low-tide deep, and was destined for river vessels; later on, it was deepened to 7 and 8.50 meters under low-tide and used for transshipment from sea-ships into river vessels, while along its banks, as the want was felt, quay-walls were made, where ships of deep draught can discharge into vans, trucks or warehouses.
It turned out that the circumstance which in the early eighties made that the R. T. A.'s works were but little used had entirely changed for the better ten years later. The direct trade that then declined had now again become very considerable, although it rested on quite a different basis.
In 1880 the Commune resolved to build and manage a dry-dock for itself, for it was becoming evident that it was indispensable for the prosperity of the harbor for it to possess an establishment for the repair of big sea-ships, while there seemed to be no chance of private initiative undertaking to provide what was a matter of life and death for the Port of Rotterdam.
In 1883 three floating dry-docks were opened.
In 1890 The Town Council resolved to extend the docking accommodation, and consequently, a third dry-dock was got ready by 1893.
In 1892 a further increase of docking-space was voted; the new dry-dock, completed in 1904, was berthed in the Maas Haven.
Furthermore, later on, some commercial and trading interests concerned in the Port opened three docks.