Organizing & Preserving Your Heirloom Documents
Organizing and Preserving Your Heirloom Documents Edition by Katherine Scott Sturdevant, ISBN10: 155870597X ISBN13: 97815587059710 Format: Paperback Pub. Date: 8/1/2002 Publisher(s): F & W Pubns Inc
Genealogists and non-genealogists alike inherit diaries, memoirs, letters, papers, or memorabilia from their relatives and ancestors. This book shows readers how to safely collect, preserve, and even publish some of these treasured heirlooms.
From the Back Cover
Diaries, memoirs, letters, papers, and memorabilia from your relatives and ancestors provide you with the opportunity to be the keeper and teller of your family’s life story.
Katherine Scott Sturdevant shows you how to safely organize, collect, and preserve these priceless papers. Getting started is easier than you think! Inside you’ll find instruction, advice, and tips that teach you how to
- Locate missing documents, or discover documents you didn’t even know existed
- Organize your documents and the time you spend on them
- Preserve and care for fragile, older papers
- Transcribe, annotate, proofread, and illustrate documents
- Conduct historical research
- Create new family history documents by writing and interviewing your relatives
- Find the organizations that can help you work with your documents
You’ll also find guidelines for documentary editing—collecting, organizing, preserving, and publishing your family documents or the documents of others. Sturdevant takes you step-by-step through the process, start to finish.
This guide makes caring for your valuable family papers both a joy and an education.
About The Author
Katherine Scott Sturdevant is a historian, historical editor, and college history professor. She is the author of Bringing Your Family History to Life Through Social History. She lives in Colorado Springs.
Katherine Scott Sturdevant, M.A. and Ph.D. candidate, is a social historian. She has taught college-level American history for nearly twenty years, including an innovative, team-taught course combining history and genealogy. Her first Betterway book, the highly regarded Bringing Your Family Flistory to Life Through Social History, reveals new methods of doing family history in a social history context. Trained as a documentary editor at the Institute for the Editing of Historical Documents, Kathy has been a historical editor for twenty years. She lives in Colorado Springs, Colorado, with her husband, Rick, who is deputy director of the Air Force Space Command History Office.
Table Of Contents
- Your Family Heirloom Papers
- Being Biographer, Aficionado, Literary Critic
- Professional Field + Personal Element
- Locating Family Heirloom Documents
- Preserving Original Documents
- Your Selection Process
- Organizing Your Documents
- Organizing Your Project
- Transcribing Your Documents
- How to Edit and Proofread
- Annotating Your Documents
- Illustrating Your Documents
- Researching Annotation and Illustrations
- To Keep or to Donate?
- Publishing Your Documentary Book
- What Else Can You Do?
- Selected Glossary
- Appendix A Reaching The Professionals
- Appendix B Forms for Family Documentary Editors
Library of Congress Cataloging-In-Publication Data
- Sturdevant, Katherine Scott
- Organizing & preserving your heirloom documents / Katherine Scott Sturdevant. p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 1-55870-597-X (alk. paper)
- 1. Genealogy.
- 2. Manuscripts—Conservation and restoration.
- 3. Archival materials— Conservation and restoration.
- 4. History—Sources—Conservation and restoration.
- I. Title.
- CS14 .S78 2002
- 929'. 1—dc21 2002066524
- Editor: Sharon DeBartolo Carmack, CG
- Production editor: Brad Crawford
- Production coordinator: Sara Dumford
- Cover designer: Clare Finney
- Interior designer: Sandy Conopeotis Kent
- Icon designer: Cindy Beckmeyer
- Main cover photo by Pam Monfort, Bronze Photography.
- Other cover photos by A1 Parrish.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 2002066524
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Sturdevant, Katherine Scott.
- Main Title: Organizing & preserving your heirloom documents / Katherine Scott Sturdevant.
- Variant Title: Organizing and preserving your heirloom documents
- Edition Information: 1st ed.
- Published/Created: Cincinnati, Ohio : Betterway Books, c2002.
- Description: 238 p. : ill.; 28 cm.
- ISBN: 155870597X (alk. paper)
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references (p. 217-230) and index.
- Subjects: Genealogy. Manuscripts --Conservation and restoration. Archival materials --Conservation and restoration. History --Sources --Conservation and restoration.
- LC Classification: CS14 .S78 2002
- Dewey Class No.: 929/.1 21
- CALL NUMBER: CS14 .S78 2002