The Genealogist's Computer Companion
by Rhonda R. McClure
The only book of its kind that looks at the genealogical research process as a whole in conjunction with computer use for conducting research and preserving documents electronically. Illustrations. ISBN: 1558705910, Soft cover: 84 pages, Binding: Trade paperback, Publisher: Betterway Books (01/2003), Copyright 2001, Language: English
Explains how to use the computer, the Internet, and genealogical software to trace one's family history.
From the Back Cover
The keys te exploring & documenting your family history are at your fingertips! Master the basics of online research and turn your computer into an efficient, versatile research tool. Respected genealogist Rhonda McGinn shows you how, providing guidelines and advice that enable you to find new information, verify existing research, and save valuable time.
You'll learn how to:
- Access library catalogs and databases
- Use genealogy software to organize your ancestors and family history research
- Preserve your precious records, documents, and photographs electronically
- Use online resources to prepare for on-site library research
- Verify your Internet findings with library source materials
- Access newsgroups, bulletin boards, mailing lists, and commercial sites
Computers provide you with access to a whole new world of genealogical information -- and an entirely new community of genealogists! Take advantage of both by plugging in and getting online. With The Genealogist's Computer Companion, you have the one guide you need to succeed!
Table of Contents At a Glance
- 1 Computers and Genealogy: Where We’ve Been
- 2 Understanding Your Computer
- 3 Put the Computer to Work for You, Part 1
- 4 Head Onto the Internet
- 5 Tools of the Internet
- 6 Library Research From Home
- 7 The Search Is On
- 8 Genealogical Aids
- 9 Look Toward the Future
- 10 Put the Computer to Work for You, Part II
- A State Resources
- B Country Resources
- C Library Resources Online
- D Glossary of Genealogical and Technical Terms
- Index, 181
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 2001043535
- LCCN Permalink: http://lccn.loc.gov/2001043535
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: McClure, Rhonda R.
- Main Title: The genealogist’s computer companion / Rhonda R. McClure.
- Edition Information: 1st ed.
- Published/Created: Cincinnati, Ohio : Betterway Books, c2002.
- Description: 183 p. : ill.; 28 cm.
- ISBN: 1558705910 (alk. paper)
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references (p. 161-169) and index.
- Subjects: Genealogy --Computer network resources --Handbooks, manuals, etc. Genealogy --Databases --Handbooks, manuals, etc.
- LC Classification: CS14 .M345 2002
- Dewey Class No.: 929/.2/0285 21
- CALL NUMBER: CS14 .M345 2002