RMS Andania Ephemera Collection
All Digitized Ephemera for the RMS Andania available at the GG Archives. Common items of ephemera in our maritime collection include passenger lists, brochures, event and entertainment programs, and other memorabilia produced for a voyage or ship.
Tourist Third Cabin replaced the old Third Class on the Cunard Steamships, the refinished accommodations attracted students, professors, young business people, and bargain-hunters filling the cabins left mostly empty from the decline of the immigrant trade. This is a photo journal of the accommodations found in the new Tourist Third Cabin class. Ships Featured: Andania, Antonia, Aquitania, Ascania, Aurania, Ausonia, Berengaria, Caronia and Carmania, Laconia, Samaria, Scythia, Tuscania, and Lancastria.
- Steamship Line: Cunard Line
- Class of Passengers: Cabin
- Date of Departure: 8 June 1923
- Route: Southampton to Quebec & Montreal via Cherbourg
- Commander: Captain E. T. Britten, R.D., R.N.R.
- Steamship Line: Cunard Line
- Class of Passengers: Cabin
- Date of Departure: 1 August 1924
- Route: Southampton to Quebec & Montreal via Cherbourg & Queenstown (Cobh)
- Commander: Captain R. V. Peel., R.N.R.
Vintage Dinner Bill of Fare Card from 6 August 1924 on board the RMS Andania of the Cunard Line featured Fillets of Brill—Cardinal, Salmi of Duckling -- Green Peas, and Prime Ribs and Sirloin of Beef -- Horseradish.
- Steamship Line: Cunard Line
- Class of Passengers: Cabin
- Date of Departure: 6 May 1925
- Route: Hamburg to Halifax NS and New York via Southampton, Cherbourg, and Queenstown (Cobh)
- Commander: Captain E. G. Diggle
Ephemera contained in the GG Archives collection represent the souvenirs provided to the passengers of each voyage. Many of these souvenir ephemeral items have disappeared over the years.
Our selection varies considerably by ship, and likely contains only a sampling of what was originally produced and printed by the steamship lines.
Bookmark pages you're researching and check back periodically for additions as we continue to digitize our extensive ephemera materials.
New Cunarder Successfully Launched
The New Oil Burning Cunarder Andania. GGA Image ID # 142047040d
The new oil-burner Andania, seventh Cunard steamer built since the war, is intended for the Canadian service.
THE Andania, launched recently by Lady Perley, wife of Sir George Perley, K.C.M.G., High Commissioner for Canada, has been built by Hawthorne, Leslie & Company, at Hebburn-on-Tyne.
Her dimensions are: Length over-all, 540 ft.; beam, 65 ft.; depth, 43 ft.; tonnage, 14,000; speed, 16 knots, and accommodation for passengers, cabin 500, third class 1,200.
Lady Perley Christening the Andania. GGA Image ID # 142078259f
The Andania is the seventh of the new ships in the Cunard post-war building program to be launched. Two of these, the Scythia and Albania, are already in commission.
The Andania, too, is one of six ships of her type which will carry only cabin and third class passengers. She has been designed specially for the Cunard Canadian service, and it is expected that she will take her place in this service during the Spring.
The Andania Sliding Down the Slipway to the River Tyne. GGA Image ID # 1420ddc155
Cabin Passenger Accommodation
The public rooms have been designed by Shepheard & Bower, architects, Liverpool.
Saloon—The saloon is situated on "D” deck (with immediate service from the kitchen department adjoining) and will be treated in a Colonial Adams manner. The portholes are arranged in groups of three, and a pleasing effect will be obtained in their treatment by enclosing each group within one architrave behind which draw curtains will be hung.
By this means will be produced the effect of a series of large windows, extending from floor to ceiling. The color scheme will be in shades of ivory white with rich blue curtains and gold trimmings.
Fine Spanish mahogany furniture throughout will be treated in harmony with the decorative scheme and will be arranged in groups of small tables accommodating two, four or six persons each, and independent chairs will be provided.
The center portion of saloon is carried up into the deck above, forming a central dome with musicians’ gallery on one side, and on the other side the main staircase landing. The other two sides of the dome will be enriched with semi-circular shaped fresco paintings in tempera.
Staircase—The main staircase leads fr0m the after end of the saloon, and, passing through intermediate decks, giving access to passengers’ state rooms, etc., terminates in the writing room on "A” deck.
The staircase is planned on handsome lines and rises easily in short flights, having a wide central and two return flights to each deck. The stairway is of the open type and has a continuous wreathed handrail supported on elegant wrought iron balusters.
Extending as it does from “D” deck to “A” deck, the staircase, paneled throughout, forms a very handsome feature of the ship.
“A” Deck—This is the promenade deck, and here is arranged a delightful suite of entertaining rooms, comprising writing room, lounge, smoke room and verandah cafe, together occupying the whole of the available space on this deck.
These rooms açe all lighted by large sash windows which are sheltered by the boat deck and through, which the view to sea is gained across the promenade deck.
The center portions of these rooms is carried up several feet above tho boat deck, giving added height and ImpÖrtance to them and allowing a pleasing effect of clerestory lighting by means of decorative lunettes.
Writing Room—This room will serve as the drawing room of the ship and is designed in the style of R. & J. Adam. The color scheme will be in shades of French grey with curtains in old gold and blue trimmings.
The furniture will be arranged in groups of small tables for writing and occasional tables and settees harmonizing in color and designed in keeping with the general treatment of the room.
Lounge—The architectural treatment of the lounge will have French influence in the detail and enrichment. The color scheme will be in shades of lavender. The touch of warmth in the color of the old rose silk curtains and upholstery will give a note of comfort to the general scheme. This room will be provided with an open fireplace situated in a comfortable recess in the center of the room at the forward end.
Smoking Room—This room will be carried out in walnut, the walls being paneled in this material throughout, and designed in the Colonial Adams style treated in a quiet and restrained manner.
Paneled pilasters, carried up to the full height of the ceiling, having dull gilt capitals and delicate enrichment on the upper part of their panels, combined with the ceiling beams also in walnut, will give a sense of dignity and repose to the general scheme of decoration.
At the forward end of the room a fireplace is arranged in a recess forming an ingle provided with an open electric fire and a handsome marble chimney-piece désigned in keeping with the style.
At the after end a similar recess forms a bay window treatment, the large window of which gives a pleasant outlook on to the verandah café. The window hangings will be in green and dull gold and the furniture will consist of large settees and easy chairs upholstered in leather harmonizing in color.
The tables will be of walnut, designed to accord with the general scheme. This furniture is independent and with chairs and settees being arranged in groups at separate tables, all the amenities and comfort of a first-class club smoke room will be obtained.
Verandah Café—The verandah café is approached direct from the promenade deck and the smoke room. The café is carried out in a simple treatment of French treillage, consisting of paneled walls and pilasters.
The fascination of the stern view has not been overlooked, and passengers seated in the café gain full benefit of this through the large central window, the two side windows and the two large openings looking directly astern.
For protection against bad weather the two large openings can be closed by sliding doors. The furniture will consist of wicker chairs and tables arranged in groups round the windows, giving the passengers the full benefit of the view to Bea.
With the delicate green treillage on a cream background a charming open-air effect will be obtained and by reason of the cafe’s sheltered position it will undoubtedly prove a very favorite resort.
Children’s Room—An effect of cheerful cleanliness has been gained by paneling the room, breast high, with sycamore, polished its natural ivory tint, and severe moldings and simple enrichments dyed a bright red.
A continuous frieze illustrates the principal incidents from “Alice in Wonderland,” and the windows are glazed with old-fashioned “Bull’s Eye” panes, so fascinating to the child.
Two cozy inglenooks with comfortable seats have been built, the frieze on the three sides being painted with a large tree, whose branches extend over the cove and entwine on the ceiling. The effect gained is that of a garden arbor where the youngsters can have their “make believe” alfresco tea.
Both the floor and ceiling have been converted into sources of interest and amusement The former is provided with an inlaid animal border, while the center portion is inlaid with the necessary outlines for “hop scotch,” “shuffle board,” “marbles,” etc. The latter is painted sky-blue and sprinkled with silver stars; the lighting is obtained through the conventional cheery faced sun and the man in the moon.
A large slate with a fitment for colored chalks has been incorporated in the paneling, and a small library of favorite children’s books is provided.
The miniature furniture is comfortable and designed with an eye to hygiene. White enameled, decorated with bright colors and with all awkward corners eliminated, it will delight most children who love to discover articles of their own scale.
The provision of a steady sea-going ship and of luxurious public rooms and staterooms is not enough to ensure the comfort of passengers. One of the most important question» to be settled is that of the catering. On the Andania particular attention has been paid to the arrangement of the kitchens.
In these all the latest developments of the culinary art have been employed, and they are full of the most modern forms of machinery and utensils, such as ranges, stockpots, steam ovens, mincing, slicing, potato peeling, dough mixing machines, hot-presses, bain-maries, electric toasters and dish washing machines.
Electricity, naturally, plays a great part in these kitchens, and the application of science with its latest discoveries and inventions will ensure the enjoyment of a meal on the Andania, even for the most fastidious travelers.
Third Class Accommodation
Third class passengers will find in the Andania that every attention has been given to their comfort. The public rooms are unusually spacious. The dining saloon is large and airy, and the special kitchens, fitted with every modern up-to-date culinary device, ensure that not only is the cooking excellent but that the service is speedy.
The smoking room, general room, and public room have all been designed to cater (or the special needs of those who frequent them. They are well lighted and well ventilated.
The cabins are commodious and are fitted with berths for two or four passengers. The third class passenger will Und that the appointments of these rooms are quite complete.
Comfortable mattresses, counterpanes, sheets and pillows are provided, and the toilet arrangements ensure the greatest comfort to the traveler. The groups of rooms are separated by spacious alleyways, and there is an atmosphere of airiness and lightness about the whole-of these quarters.
Promenade space, too, both open and covered, has not been forgotten. Indeed the whole scheme of accommodation for third class passengers reaches a height of perfection that bas certainly never been excelled in any other ship.
Propelling Machinery and Boilers
General Description—The propelling machinery consists of steam turbines of the Parsons type driving twin screws through double reduction mechanical gearing. The main machinery consists of two sets of turbines and mechanical gearing generally in accordance with the latest practice for superheated steam and suitable for a working pressure of 220 lbs. per square inch.
The ahead propelling machinery of each set consists of one high pressure turbine driving through a flexible coupling one pinion, and one low pressure turbine driving through a flexible coupling the other pinion of the first reduction gearing, and through the second reduction pinions to the gear wheel mounted on the main shaft.
The astern propelling turbines are incorporated in the same casings as the low pressure ahead turbines. The total power for astern work is about 63 per cent of the ahead power.
The complete turbine Installation can develop a collective shaft horse-power of about 8,600 with the revolutions of the propeller shafts at about 90 per minute. Steam is supplied by two double-ended and two single-ended cylindrical anultitubular boilers arranged in one compartment In the ship.
The boilers are arranged for burning oil-fuel, but provision is made for fitting coal burning furnace mountings. Super-heaters of the smoke tube type are fitted to the boilers.
Turbines—The h.p. turbine is designed for 3,190 revolutions per minute and the l.p. turbine for 2,170 revolutions. The h.p. turbine rotors are of forged steel of the solid type and the l.p. turbine rotors have a series of discs of forged steel driven on to a forged steel spindle, and so put together as to ensure rigidity under all working conditions.
The mechanical reduction gearing is of the double helical type. The main shafting throughout is of hydraulic forged ingot steel. The propeller shafts are forged of ingot steel turned all over and covered all over in way of stern tubes with brass liners.
The two propellers are 18 ft. in diameter. The forced lubrication oil system is fitted complete to supply both port and starboard engines.
The condensers are suspended from the under side of the l.p. turbines, and each gives a cooling surface of 4,260 square feet. The auxiliary machinery includes two circulating pumps of the centrifugal type, each driven by a horizontal spindle steam turbine, one turbo driven, and two direct acting feed pumps, two turbo water extractor pumps, and other fittings in connection with the Vickers closed feed system.
Three D.A. forced lubrication pumps, two ballast pumps, two bilge pumps, two 50-tone evaporators, two F.W. pumps, two turbo generators, auxiliary circulating pump, and a small condensing and pumping plant for dealing with steam drains.
An auxiliary condenser with a cooling surface of about 1,000 square feet has been fitted up complete in the engine room. All the turbo driven auxiliary machinery is suitable for using superheated steam.
Boilers—The mean diameter of all the boilers is 17 ft. 6 in. The mean length of the double-ended boilers is 22 ft. 6 in. and of the single-ended boilers 11 ft. 6 in. Each double- ended boiler has eight furnaces and each single-ended boiler four furnaces.
The combined heating surface for the four boilers is about 19,900 square feet. The boilers are fitted with Robinson’s type smoke tube super-heaters capable of supplying steam haying a superheat of 200 deg. F. at the inlet to the h.p. turbine.
The furnaces are of the Morison suspension withdrawable type and each is fitted with a separate combustion chamber. The boilers are arranged to burn oil on the White low pressure system with Howden’s forced draught.
The installation is arranged on the duplex system and consists of two transfer pumps and two complete sets of pumping and heating plant, one of the sets acting as a stand-by. Settling tanks of suitable capacity are provided in the cross bunker between the engine and boiler rooms. A complete workshop is also provided for the use of engineers.
Cunard Canadian Service
The forthcoming resumption of the direct Cunard Canadian service to Quebec and Montreal recalls the fact that the company’s association with Canada dates back to its inauguration.
On her first sailing from Liverpool in 1840, the Britannia called at Halifax, and for nineteen years this call, both east- bound and westbound, was a regular feature of the company’s Atlantic service. In 1859, however, the Halifax call was discontinued, and was not resumed for over half a century.
In 1911, the Cunard company purchased three passenger steamers, and ran them between London, Southampton and Canada. These vessels were the Ascanla (10,000 tons), the Ausonla (8,000 tons), and the Albania.
One of the chief features of the company’s Canadian service was that all ships were designed to carry two classes of passengers only—cabin and third class, an innovation which is being maintained in the resumed service.
The great success of the company’s Canadian service also was shown by the necessity for a rapid extension, and two new steamers, the Andania and Alaunia, were launched during the early part of 1913.
These ships had each a tonnage of 13,3é|h| and were 640 feet in length. Their passenger accommodation was notably in advance of previous ships.
Further, to assist Canadian travelers, for all westbound sailings during 1913, personally conducted parties and special women’s parties were arranged. In these, the services of experienced conductors were placed gratuitously at the disposal of passengers.
In addition, an employment bureau was established at Toronto, and this office, being in the closest touch with the labor situation in Canada, the Cun&rd officials who met the steamers at Quebec were able to give valuable assistance to those who required situations.
The success of these vessels was indisputable, and i® designing the new ships the company have had the advantage of experience already gained in addition to developments that have taken place in marine architecture and engineering during the period since 1914.
In developing this class of vessel they prove their intention of catering for those travellers who require the highest degree of comfort at a moderate cost.
Unfortunately, the outbreak of war In 1914 put an end, for a time, to developments, and unluckily, also, «very ship in the Canadian service was sunk whilst on war service, including the first Andania, whose name has been given to the new ship.
As is generally known, after the Armistice an immense building program was put into operation and the needs of the Canadian service were not forgotten. Six big vessels of 15,000 tons each were included in this program. All of them are designed to carry cabin and third class passengers.
While awaiting the placing of these new ships into commission, touch has not been lost with Canadian ports. Continually some of the finest ships of the company's North Atlantic service have called at Halifax, notably the Caronia and Carmania, which have been the largest vessels making regular use of the Canadian port.
Not only has there been a continual service between the British Isles and Halifax, but regularly during the season Cunard freighters have sailed to and from the St. Lawrence.
The Andania herself, like all the new ships that are to take their place in the company’s Canadian service, will be able to carry a large cargo in addition to a big number of passengers. She has space for some 10,500 tons of cargo.
The early spring will see two new ships in the service and they will sail direct to Quebec. A month or so later a third vessel will be placed in this service. At the same time, the call at Halifax will be maintained so that travelers will have the choice of numerous fine vessels.
Further developments are in view and it may be stated that the Canadian service is destined to play a very important part in the Cunard company's future program.
At the present moment the Cunard fleet consists of twenty-four sea going vessels. There are still eleven either building or completing. The Cunard company and its allied lines will before long control a tonnage approaching 1,000,000.
This immense fleet, serving as it will the chief ports of Europe, America, India, Australia and New Zealand, will be a link in the overseas trade of the empire whose importance it will be difficult to overestimate.
It is of interest to note that at the present moment two giant Cunarders are in the Tyne undergoing conversion to oil fuel burners, the Berengaria at Armstrong, Whitworth & Company, and the Mauretania at Swan, Hunter & Wigharn Richardson, Limited.
The Berengaria, with a tonnage of 52,000 and a length of well over 900 feet, is the biggest liner that has ever flown the red or blue ensign, and the Mauretania, of 31,000 tons, with a length of 788 feet, holds all the speed records of the Atlantic.
The Berengaria is the largest ship ever to have successfully navigated the Tyne, a distinction which until recently was held by the Cunarder Aquitania, which was in the Tyne for the same purpose last year.
As soon as the conversion of the Berengaria and Mauretania is completed, they will return to the Cunard express service between Southampton, Cherbourg and New York, and with the Aquitania, will form the fastest passenger and mail ocean service in the world.
Tyneside is particularly delighted that the task of converting the Mauretania has fallen to it, as she was built at Swan, Hunter & Wigharn Richardson’s with the express intention of capturing again for Britain the Blue Riband of the Atlantic.
"New Cunarder Successfully Launched," in Shipping, Marine Transportation, Construction, Equipment, and Supplies, New York: Shipping Publisheing Company, Inc., Vol. XIV, No. 12, 25 December 1921, p. 7-10