Maritime and Ocean Liner Vintage Postcards
The GG Archives has many high-grade postcards in our Maritime collection. There is quite a variety, including black & white, colorized, photograph, watercolor, and oil paintings. They often capture ships and harbor scenes that otherwise would be lost to time. A number of these are works of art and are suitable for framing.
Ocean Liner & Steamship Postcards
The GG Archives has a small collection of the very rare Allan Line Royal Mail Steamers, Established in 1852, later purchased by the Canadian Pacific in 1917. Our series of postally used and unused postcards date from the early 1900s.
Our AEL Postcard Collection features the sister ships Constitution and Independence -- very popular ships and successful on their "Sunlane" route between New York, Algeciras, Cannes, Genoa, and Naples.
The GG Archives has a small collection of the Anchor Line postcards, Established in 1855 in Glassgow, Scotland, and dissolved in 1980. Our series of postally used and unused postcards date from the early 1900s.
Vintage postcard collection of The Atlantic Transport Line, an American passenger shipping line based in Baltimore, Maryland that in 1901, was folded into the International Mercantile Marine Company (IMM).
The GG Archives' collection of Vintage Canadian Pacific Line postcards featured illustrations and photographs of each vessel's exteriors. Ships included Empress of France, Melita, Minnedosa, and Montcalm.
A sampling of Cunard Line postcards in our collection includes views of the Cunard Wharf in Boston, ships that include the Laconia, Franconia, Saxonia, and Queen Mary.
Our Collection features picture postcards of the Holland-America Line fleet, including the TSS Rijndam, TSS Rotterdam, and the elusive TSS Statendam III (1929).
The Postcard Collection of the Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen / North German Lloyd of the GG Archives. Include Ship Interior and Exterior Photographs, Paintings of Ships. Our Postcards date from 1900-1934.
The port of Liverpool including the Mersey, Gladstone, and other Docks and the Harbor area. The landing stage was used by many of the great steamship lines including Anchor Line, Bibby Line, Blue Funnel Line, Canadian Pacific, Cunard, Cunard White Star, Donaldson, RMSP, Yeoward Line, and others.
Bakke Bro, now called Bakke Bru, is the bridge over the Nidelva River that connects Olav Tryggvasons Gate with Innherredsvein in Trondheim, Norway. These vintage postcards date from the early 20th Century.
Bratøgaden, Trondhjem now referred to as Brattørgata is located on the west side of Trondheim between Søndre gate and Krambugata and only exists for three blocks, paralleling Brattøveita to the west and Olav Tryggvason's Gate to the east. Postcard dates from the early 20th Century.
Buran is an area east of downtown Trondheim. The location is between Lademoen Møllenberg and Rosendal.
Old Town Bridge (Locally referred to as Gamle Bybro or Bybroa) is located in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag County, Norway. This vintage postcard depects Bybroen as it existed circa 1910.
Nidaros Cathedral (locally referred to as Nidarosdomen or Nidaros Domkirke) is a Church of Norway cathedral located in the city of Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway.
Elven med Søboder now referred to as Elven med Sjøboder, refers to boathouses and warehouses located on the Nidelva River in Trondheim, Norway. This vintage postcard has an excellent view of the Nidelva River with shipping activity with warehouses lining the shoreline.
Fjellseter turisthotell. Fjellseter sanatorium was opened on January 2, 1899. The place became known beyond the country's borders. The main house burned down in 1917, but the annex stood again and was operated on as a hotel and restaurant.
Frimurerlogen was the original site for the Trondheim Symphony Orchestra's performances that held its first concert on 10 December 1909. The performance took place in Frimurerlogen in Trondheim, the orchestra's regular haunt until Olavshallen Concert Hall was completed in 1989.
Gartnergate or Gartnergade no longer exists in Trondheim. This early twentieth-century postcard shows what the street looked like at the turn of the century.
The Trondheim Norges tekniske Hoiskole Techn: The Norwegian Institute of Technology, known by its Norwegian abbreviation NTH (Norges tekniske høgskole) was a science institute in Trondheim, Norway. It was established in 1910 and existed as an independent technical university for 89 years.
The Hotel opened in 1915 under the name Grand Hotel but shortly replaced its name with Hotel Augustin. Located near the center of Trondhjem, there is an abundance of shopping and restaurants nearby this historic hotel that dates from 1915.
Ilevolden, now called Llevollen street in Trondheim, Norway, is located on the west side between the Nidelva River and Trondheim Harbor and is presently known as Fv812.
Indherredsvein, now called Innherredsveien, is a significant street in Trondheim, Norway. It begins where Olav Tryggvason's gate turns into Bakke Bru over the Nidelva River and changes into Innherredsveien or FV910, proceeding eastwardly away from the harbor.
Kjøbmandsgate, more likely known as Kjøpmannsgata, is located between the city and the seaside along Nidelva has been the main street in Trondheim since it was built by the rezoning after the great fire of 1681.
Kongens gate or King Street is one of Trondheim's main streets. It was built as part of the rezoning after the great fire in 1681 and is one of the principal axes of the baroque town plan designed by Major General Johan Caspar von Cicignon. With a width of 60 cubits, it stretches from the piers Kjøpmannsgata, over the square and past Prinsensgate.
Munkegaden, now called Munkegaten or Munkegata in Trondheim, is the central axis and the city's main street in Cicignons urban by 1681. The road runs from the Domkirken / Nidaros Domkirke Cathedral to the docks at Ravnkloa.
The Munkegata leads directly to the Torget, to Trondheim's central square, which marks the center of the old town. You can walk the Munkegata a little further north and find the Stiftsgården.
Stiftsgården is the royal residence in Trondheim, Norway - Scandinavia's largest wooden palace.
Munkholmen is a small island of 13 acres located about 2 km outside central Trondheim Trondheim Fjord. The island is now a popular destination in the summer season, with opportunities for swimming and sunbathing.
The municipality of Trondhjem built a new power station in 1907 due to the increase in demand for electric power. The waterfall of Nedre Lerfos was utilized. It is calculated to yield about 6,000 horsepower.
Around the same place went Lower commons in the Middle Ages. The steet runs from Bakke bridge in the east to Prince Street in the west, where it continues westward Sandgata. Olav Tryggvason street was formerly Strand Street.
Trondheim (50,000 population in 1921) is the most northern of the principal towns, and the distributing and jobbing center for the entire country beyond. One might say it is the trading post for the Great North Land
Ravnkloa (previously called Ravnkloen), is the name of Trondheim's most successful commons. Square lies at the end of Munkegata between Olav Tryggvason street and canal, on the line between the cathedral and Munkholmen.
This royal residence of Stiftsgården is Scandinavia's most massive wooden structure with an associated garden in central Trondheim, on the corner of Monk Street and Queen Street.
Thomas Angell (29 December 1692 - 19 September 1767) was a merchant and philanthropist in Trondheim. As a result of family strife he bequeathed his share of the family fortune to charitable causes in Trondheim. Thomas Angell Trusts were created for the management of these funds.
Torvet is the central square in Trondheim. Torvet is a result of Johan Caspar Cicignons' urban plan from 1681. Torvet is located where King Street and Munkegata intersect.