Order of Battle, Vol. 3-2: Territorial Departments, Tactical Divisions, Posts, Camps, and Stations
Front Cover, Order of Battle Volume 3 Part 2: Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, Zone of the Interior: Territorial Departments Tactical Divisions Organized in 1918 Posts, Camps, and Stations, 1937. GGA Image ID # 181fc3ddde
U.S. Government Printing Office, Order of Battle of the United States Land Forces in the World War, Volume 3, Part 2, Zone of the Interior: Territorial Departments Tactical Divisions Organized in 1918 Posts, Camps, and Stations © 1937/1988, Center of Military History, United States Army, U.S. Government Printing Office, Hardcover, 791 Pages. 940.4'12'73. cover of book is dark blue with insignia of the United States but no lettering. Title on Binding.
Subject: United States, Army -- History -- World War, 1914 - 1918.
Volume 3 Part 2 consists of a directory of troops, covering all organizations that made up the Army between 1917 and 1919. It also covers the tactical divisions organized in 1918 and posts, camps, and stations with larger cantonments covered in great detail.
- Territorial Departments (Regions - US and Territories)
- Tactical Divisions Organized in 1918
- Posts, Camps and Stations by Region
- Chapter II, Territorial Departments, has an introduction and nine sections, each of which deals with one territorial department. The contents of each section are generally grouped under extent, command, activities, inactive stations, and strength of troops stationed within the department; active posts, camps, and stations are accounted for in Chapter IV.
- Chapter III Divisions covers the tactical divisions organized in 1918, preceded by an introduction. Each division is described under command, composition, and record of events.
- Chapter IV, Posts, Camps, and Stations, includes an introduction; a departmental index to posts, camps, and stations; and nine sections, each section representing the posts, camps and stations within one territorial department arranged in alphabetical order. All large posts or camps are covered in considerable detail under history, description, command status, camp commanders, strength, and troops. Stations of minor importance are treated less extensively.
Example of Information Found in This Volume: Internment of Enemy Aliens
The captain and crew of the interned German sea raider Geier, which had taken refuge in Honolulu Harbor, were arrested February 5, 1917, and sent to Schofield Barracks, where they were held under guard until September 13, 1917. This contingent, numbering 164, and certain enemy sympathizers were then transferred to Fort Douglas, Utah, for further internment. (p. 628)
On February 4, 1917, five German vessels were interned in Colon harbor and 104 crew members taken into custody. An internment camp on Taboga Island was established, to which the detained persons were transferred. With the cooperation of the Republic of Panama, German and Austrian nationals residing in the Republic were arrested soon after the outbreak of war and sent to Taboga Island. On April 19, 1918, this internment camp was closed and the last detachment of the prisoners removed to the United States. During its existence, a total of 219 alien enemies had been received at the camp. (pp. 626-627)
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 87600306
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Main Title: Order of battle of the United States land forces in the World War.
- Published/Created: Washington, D.C. : Center of Military History, United States Army, 1988.
- Related Names: Center of Military History.
- Description: 3 v. in 5 : ill., col. maps; 24 cm.
- Contents: v. 3. Zone of the interior. pt. 2. Territorial departments, tactical divisions organized in 1918, posts, camps, and stations.
- Notes: Reprint. Originally published: Washington : U.S. G.P.O., 1931-1949. Includes indexes.
- Subjects: United States. Army --History --World War, 1914-1918.
- LC Classification: D570 .O73 1988
- Dewey Class No.: 940.4/12/73 19
- Government Document No.: D114.2:B32
- Geographic Area Code: n-us---