Naval Aviation News - June 1993 - Naval Space Command
Front Cover, Naval Aviation News, June 1993: "General Quarters," Albert K. Murray (U.S. Navy Combat Art Collection). Battle between sub and blimp. The tail gunner braces himself as he covers the U-boat's deck with his Browning automatic rifle to prevent manning of the German's deck gun while the blimp maneuvered for another bombing run. Commissioned a Ltjg. in March 1942, Murray painted a series on lighter-than-air crews. After the war, he became officer in charge of the Combat Art Section.
Back Cover, Naval Aviation News, June 1993: "Ready Room," William F. Draper (U.S. Navy Combat Art Collection). Many combat artists did scenes of pilot briefings. This effort is one of the best and depicts Navy crews relaxing before a mission or flight planning.
Flagship Publication of Naval Aviation, Oldest U.S. Navy Periodical, Volume 75, No. 4, May-June 1993
- Combat Art in WW ll
- Naval Space Command -- 10 Years of Service to the Fleet
- Fleet Aviators Can Shoot for the Stars
- Enlisted Aviation Series — Aerographer's Mate
- Navy Flies HARV for NASA
- At the Merge and Beyond: Fighting and Working Together, Part 2
- (Former) Soviet Thoughts on Carriers
- So You Are Going to Disestablish?
- Flight Pollcy
- Grampaw Pettibone
- Naval Aircraft: HOK/H-43
- Professional Reading
- ANA Bimonthly Photo Competition
- Flight Bag
RAdm. Riley D. Nixson
Director, Air Warfare
Published by the Naval Historical Center under the auspices of the Chief of Naval Operations
Dr. Dean C. Allard
Director of Naval History
Cdr. Stephen R. Silverlo
Director, Naval Aviation History and Publication Division
- LCdr. Richard R. Burgess Editor
- Sandy Russell Managing Editor
- Charles C. Cooney Art Director
- Joan A. Fresher Associate Editor
- JOCS(AW) Theresa L. Dunn Associate Editor
- J01(SW) Eric S. Scull Assistant Editor
- Harold Andrews, Technical Advisor
- Cdr. Peter Mersky, USNR, Houk Review Editor
- Capt. R. Reuss, USNR (Ret.), Contributing Editor
Naval Aviation News considers for publication unsolicited manuscripts, photo essays. artwork, and general news about aircraft. organizations, history, and/or human endeavors which are the core of Naval Aviation All military contributors should forward articles about their commands only after internal security review and with the permission of the commanding officer. Manuscripts will be returned upon request. Articles accepted for publication may be submitted on a diskette in Word Perfect 5.1.
Naval Aviation News (USPS 323-310; ISSN 0028-1417) is published bimonthly for the Chief of Naval Operations by the Naval Historical Center. Editorial offices are located in Building 157-1, Washington Navy Yard, Washington, D.C., 20374-5059. Second-class postage is paid at Washington, D.C., and additional mailing offices. Naval Aviation News is for sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C. 20402, phone (202) 783-3238. Annual subscription: $7.50.
The Secretary of the Navy has determined that this publication is necessary in the transaction of business required by law. Funds for printing have been approved by the Navy Publications and Printing Policy Committee.