Ocean Liner Collectibles with Price Guide
Front Cover, Ocean Liner Collectibles: A Schiffer Book for Collectors by Myra Yellin Outwater, 1998. GGA Image ID # 1721f77ab3
From the Back Cover
Man has always been fascinated by the sea. Once it was easy to go to sea, but today the number of passenger ships is declining and fewer and fewer people are able to take an ocean voyage.
This book recreates the ambiance of the ocean liner era by showing the actual objects Used on board. Each piece of ocean-liner memorabilia is like an Aladdin’s lamp, releasing wondrous memories of that grand style of travel.
Beginning in the late 1890s, shipping lines forged their identities by commissioning unique furniture, china, silverware, glassware, vases, ashtrays, playing cards, menus, and stationery. These types of items characterized the different ocean liners, from the Normandie with her elegant art deco furnishings, to the stainless steel gleam of the SS United states, to the old-world luxury of the queens.
It is hard to describe that special feeling of anticipation, that first step up the gangplank, the excitement of hearing the sound of the sail-away foghorn. Cunard promised that “getting there is half the fun.” We think that the next best thing to being on the Queen Mary, the Queen Elizabeth, or the Raffaello, is having a piece of them at home, welcome Aboard!
Table of Contents
- At Sea, or Why Collect?
- How Much Is It Worth? A Suggested Value Analysis and Price Guide
- A Bit of History Sails By, or Get it While It’s Still Out There
Chapter 1—The Ships: Great Floating Palaces of the Seas
Chapter 2—Advertising and Promotional Materials
- Log Cards
Chapter 3—Bon Voyage- Sailing Away
- Passenger Lists
- Baggage Tags
- Steamer Trunks
- Cabin Keys
Chapter 4—inside Your Cabin
Chapter 5—Inside the Dining Room
- Kosher Service
- Glass, and Silver
Chapter 6—Inside the Public Rooms
- Playing Cards
- Cocktail Napkins
Chapter 7—Shipboard Festivities
- Gala Ribbons
- Party Hats
Chapter 8—Gift Items
- Commemorative Plates
- Norah Wellings and Other Doll Makers
Chapter 10—The Disaster Ships
- USS Maine
- RMS Titanic
- RMS Lusitania
- SS Normandie
- SS Morro Castle
- RMS Andrea Doria
Chapter 11—All Around the Ship
- Night Lights
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- Personal name: Outwater, Myra Yellin.
- Main title: Ocean liner collectibles / Myra Yellin Outwater ; photography by Eric Boe Outwater.
- Published/Created: Atglen, PA : Schiffer Pub., c1998.
- Description: 160 p. : col. ill. ; 28 cm.
- ISBN: 0764305816
- LC classification: NK8552 .O88 1998
- Related names: Outwater, Eric Boe.
- LC Subjects: Ocean liners--Collectibles--Catalogs.
- Notes: "With price guide"--Cover.; Includes bibliographical references (p. 160).
- Series: A Schiffer book for collectors
- LCCN: 98084404
- Type of material: Book