Trondheim, Norway - Vintage Postcard Collection
The GG Archives has an exquisit collection of vintage postcards covering Trondheim, Norway in the early 20th Century. There is a mixure of Color and Black & White photographs from that era that provide a remarkable amount of detail of various streets and locations within Trondheim. Below is a sampling of our postcards covering this city.
Bakke Bro now called Bakke Bru is the bridge over the Nidelva River that connects Olav Tryggvasons Gate with Innherredsvein in Trondheim, Norway.
- 160306009 Color
- 160361911 B&W
Bratøgaden, Trondhjem now referred to as Brattørgata is located on the west side of Trondheim between Søndre gate and Krambugata and only exists for three blocks, paralleling Brattøveita to the west and Olav Tryggvasons gate to the east.
- 733230506 Color
Buran is an area east of downtown Trondheim. The location is between Lademoen Møllenberg and Rosendal.
- 160302090 (1911) B&W
Old Town Bridge (Locally referred to as Gamle Bybro or Bybroa) is located in Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag County, Norway. This vintage postcard depects Bybroen as it existed circa 1910.
- 160300830 B&W
Nidaros Cathedral (locally referred to as Nidarosdomen or Nidaros Domkirke) is a Church of Norway cathedral located in the city of Trondheim in Sør-Trøndelag county, Norway.
- 160300051 B&W
- 160306005 Color
- 160306006 Color
Elven med Søboder now referred to as Elven med Sjøboder, refers to boathouses and warehouses located on the Nidelva River in Trondheim, Norway. This vintage postcard has an excellent view of the Nidelva River with shipping activity with warehouses lining the shoreline.
Fjellseter turisthotell. Fjellseter sanatorium was opened on January 2, 1899. The place became known beyond the country's borders. The main house burned down in 1917, but the annex stood again and was operated on as a hotel and restaurant.
Frimurerlogen was the original site for performances of the Trondheim Symphony Orchestra that held its first concert 10 December 1909. The concert took place in Frimurerlogen in Trondheim who was the orchestra's regular haunt until Olavshallen Concert Hall was completed in 1989.
- 160306007 Color
Gartnergate or Gartnergade no longer exists in Trondheim. This early twentieth-century postcard shows what the street looked like at the turn of the century.
The Trondheim Norges tekniske Hoiskole Techn: The Norwegian Institute of Technology, known by its Norwegian abbreviation NTH (Norges tekniske høgskole) was a science institute in Trondheim, Norway. It was established in 1910 and existed as an independent technical university for 89 years.
The Hotel opened in 1915 under the name Grand Hotel but shortly replaced its name with Hotel Augustin. Located near the center of Trondhjem, there is an abundance of shopping and restaurants nearby this historic hotel that dates from 1915.
Ilevolden, now called Llevollen street in Trondheim, Norway, is located on the west side between the Nidelva River and Trondheim Harbor and is presently known as Fv812.
Indherredsvein, now called Innherredsveien, is a significant street in Trondheim, Norway. It begins where Olav Tryggvason's gate turns into Bakke Bru over the Nidelva River and changes into Innherredsveien or FV910, proceeding eastwardly away from the harbor.
Kjøbmandsgate more likely known as Kjøpmannsgata is located between the city and the seaside along Nidelva has been a main street in Trondheim since it was built by the rezoning after the great fire of 1681. Then replaced the medieval main street Kaupmannastræte, who survived in the form of the narrow Krambodgaden and still partly do exist. In Cicignons urban from 1681 - was Kjøpmannsgata one of the three 27 meters wide main axes. In 1700s and 1800s went also under the name Sogade - quickened in Nini Roll Anker's novel House Søgaten.
- 734391867 B&W
- 734422592 B&W
Kongens gate or King Street is one of Trondheim's main streets. It was built as part of the rezoning after the great fire in 1681 and is one of the principal axes of the baroque town plan designed by Major General Johan Caspar von Cicignon. With a width of 60 cubits, it stretches from the piers Kjøpmannsgata, over the square and past Prinsensgate.
Munkegaden, now called Munkegaten or Munkegata in Trondheim, is the central axis and the city's main street in Cicignons urban by 1681. The road runs from the Domkirken / Nidaros Domkirke Cathedral to the docks at Ravnkloa.
The Munkegata leads directly to the Torget, to Trondheim's central square, which marks the center of the old town. You can walk the Munkegata a little further north and find the Stiftsgården.
Stiftsgården is the royal residence in Trondheim, Norway - Scandinavia's largest wooden palace.
Munkholmen is a small island of 13 acres located about 2 km outside central Trondheim Trondheim Fjord. The island is now a popular destination in the summer season, with opportunities for swimming and sunbathing.
The municipality of Trondhjem built a new power station in 1907 due to the increase in demand for electric power. The waterfall of Nedre Lerfos was utilized. It is calculated to yield about 6,000 horsepower.
Olav Tryggvason street is the northernmost of the five east-west cross streets Trondheim got by the new town plan of 1681 - see Trondheim's history. Around the same place went Lower commons in the Middle Ages. Gata runs from Bakke bridge in the east to Prince Street in the west, where it continues westward Sandgata. Olav Tryggvason street was formerly Strand Street.
- 160306010 Color
Trondheim (50,000 population in 1921) is the most northern of the principal towns, and the distributing and jobbing center for the entire country beyond. One might say it is the trading post for the Great North Land
Color postcard of the Port of Trondheim (Then called Trandhjem), Norway, produced by J. Holbæk Eriksen & Co., Trondhjem circa 1906.
- 160306002 Color
Ravnkloa (previously called Ravnkloen), is the name of Trondheim's most successful commons. Square lies at the end of Munkegata between Olav Tryggvason street and canal, on the line between the cathedral and Munkholmen.
This royal residence of Stiftsgården is Scandinavia's most massive wooden structure with an associated garden in central Trondheim, on the corner of Monk Street and Queen Street.
Thomas Angell (29 December 1692 - 19 September 1767) was a merchant and philanthropist in Trondheim. As a result of family strife he bequeathed his share of the family fortune to charitable causes in Trondheim. Thomas Angell Trusts were created for the management of funds.
Torvet is the central square in Trondheim. Torvet is a result of Johan Caspar Cicignons' urban plan from 1681. Torvet is located where King Street and Munkegata intersect.
Beautiful color photograph on this vintage postcard with a clear view of the homes along the harbor of Trondheim circa 1913.
- 716212383 Color
View from Kristiansten with ship visible in the port of Trondheim with the town center building visible in the foreground. Photograph dates from circa 1910.
- 160300555 B&W