History of Machine Gun Company - 346th Infantry AEF - 1919
Top Banner (Emblem), Machine Gun Company, 346th Infantry, 87th Division, AEF - 1919. GGA Image ID # 1344226a8b
Trained at Camp Pike, the Machine Gun Company of the 346th Infantry, 87th Division of the AEF, went on to Camp Dix, where after several months were sent to Liverpool on the SS Ceramic. They made their way to Southampton for the trip over to France, landing in Le Havre. Within France, the men of MG Company called Belliant, Château Boyer, Saintes, and Camp Montoir "home."
MACHINE GUN COMPANY
“By Our Company We Shall Be Known”
M is for Major Mc Dowell, our nightmare down at Pike,
A is for his animals, from Modesty to Mike,
C is for Captain Baldwin, the Idol of our heart
H is for the Heartaches, when we all will have to part
I is for the Insects of our dear Ally France
N is for the Nests they build deep down inside our pants.
E is for the Enemy who never had a chance.
G is for the Germans whom we quickly put to rout
U is for our Uncle Sam, who dealt the knockout clout.
N is for our Nation wich turns the best men out.
C is for our Company which proved to be the best
O is for our Officers who can tell you all the rest.
Cpl. D. S. O’Connor.
By Pvt. Vin Blanc
Text not transcribed due to style of writing. See images of Pvt. Blanc's article in the Image section below - on this page.
Chronology of M. G. Co. 346th. Infantry
- Oct 1st : Assignment of Officers and Cadre Non-Coms
- Oct.18th : Assignment of Original Enlisted Company
- Nov.14th :Transfer of troops to 39th. Div. Camp Bureaugard, La
- Nov. 15th : Arrival of troops from Camp Grant. Ill
- Nov. 25th : Arrival of troops from Camp Dodge, Iowa
- Dec. 4th : Transfer of troops from. Organizations of the 346th Inf
- Mar. 9th : First Replacement Troops Leave
- Apr. 13th : Second Replacement Troops Leave
- May 17th : Captain McDowell Promoted to Major
- June 2nd : Captain Baldwin Takes Command
- June 16th : Leave Camp Pike, Ark
- June 19th : Arrive Camp Dix, NJ
- July 13th : Arrival of Troops From Camp Upton NY
- Aug. 23rd : Leave Camp Dix, NJ
- Aug. 24th : Departure from New York Harbor for Overseas (SS. Ceramic)
- Sept. 5th : Arrival and Debarkation at Liverpool, England
- Sept. 5-7 : In Camp, Winchester, England
- Sept. 8th : Embark at Southampton, England for Le Havre, France
- Sept 9th : Desembark at Le Havre, France
- Sept. 9-12 : In Rest Camp, Le Havre, France
- Sept. 12th : Entrain at Le Havre, France
- Sept.13th : Arrive at Belliant, France, Billet, Château Boyer
- Sept. 23rd : Leave Château Boyer and Entrain at Saintes, France
- Sept. 24th : Arrive at Camp Montoir, France
- Dec. 6th : Transfer of Enlisted Men to M. P. Corps. Dept. Crim. Invest
- ARRIVAL HOME....?
Images from Machine Gun Company, 346th Infantry
Historical Sketches by Pvt. Vince Blanc of Machine Gun Company, 346th Infantry, P. 1 of 2. GGA Image ID # 1345229a59
Historical Sketches by Pvt. Vince Blanc of Machine Gun Company, 346th Infantry, P. 2 of 2. GGA Image ID # 134547d1b6
Chronology of Machine Gun Company, 346th Infantry, 87th Division of the AEF. GGA Image ID # 13457f45dd