Camp Zachary Taylor
Camp Zachary Taylor was established by Act of Congress for the purpose of training men for the World War. It was situated near Louisville, Kentucky. The Original tract comprised two thousand seven hundred acres which was later added to as more space was required to take care of the men assigned to this training ground. Major Lamphere had supervision of the first 1200 barracks buildings, construction of which was begun on June 22, 1917.
Pictorial Souvenir of Camp Zachary Taylor Kentucky published by Pictorial Publishing Company - L. C. Heim, Edwardsville, Illinois, 1928. 208 Pages. 31 Photographs of Camp Zachary Taylor, including primary buildings, activities, events, and staff.
From Camp Taylor George T. Settle, the camp librarian, writes:
Library work at Camp Zachary Taylor is progressing favorably. We have on the shelves at the central library and branches in the Y. M. C A., K. of C., Salvation Army, Base Hospital, etc., 15,696 volumes, with a total circulation of 10,266. Of this 3,081 volumes were circulated at the main building. Our records show that 70,502 soldiers used the library during the month. This included Gen. Harry C. Hale, in command, Gen. D. B. De Vore and other officers.
The Burleson magazines were turned over to the library to be assorted and distributed on March 20, by Gen. Hale in command.
Raymond J. McCoy of the Cincinnati Public Library was transferred to Fort Oglethorpe on Feb. 10 and George L. Lewis, librarian of the Atheneum Library, Westfield, Mass., has been with us since Mr. McCoy left.
A branch was opened in the Y. M. C. A. building at the Remount Station the day it was completed, and the day the soldiers reported at the heavy artillery camp at West Point, twenty miles south of Louisville, books and magazines were there for them.
One of the interesting parts of camp library work is with the soldiers at the base hospital. We are arranging to open a library with a trained assistant in the Red Cross building just as soon as it is completed. This work is in the hands of a committee appointed by the camp librarian, with Mrs. Cale Young Rice in charge.
Mrs. Rice's reports on the work there are most interesting. Her committee visits the base hospital two or three times each week. Each bed is visited and library books and magazines, and scrap books in, an application blank, which had been are left with the men.
In addition to this, carefully prepared to bring out a maximum the ladies write letters for the sick and give them delicacies, fruit, etc. of information, was sent to each person Our campaign for books in Louisville was suggested, and the applications have been most successful.
By actual count we have indexed by subject, so as to yield instantly received at the Main library more than 15,500 information, for example, as to who have volumes, with the three high schools, six branch libraries and several large departments applied for hospital libraries, who live in stores and a theater yet to send in their report.