Minnesota Application for Soldiers' Bonus - 1919
The State of Minnesota provided a bonus to Soldiers who were residents of the State of Minnesota at the time they were drafted / enlisted into service of $15 per month for service between 6 April 1917 and 30 July 1921. The final date for filing claims was 30 June 1924.
43 Questions on the Minnesota Application for a World War 1 Soldiers' Bonus Under Chapter 49 Special Laws Minnesota 1919, No. 31843 and No. 58704. This Form Completed by Ludvig K. Gjenvick. Gjenvick-Gjønvik Family Archives. GGA Image ID # 1870d8c08f
Application for Soldiers' Bonus Under Chapter 49 Special Laws Minnesota 1919.
The Soldiers' Bonus Board: Brig. Gen. W. F. Rhinow, the Adjt. General; J. A. O. Preus, State Auditor; and Henry Rines, State Treasurer.
This Application Must be Made in Duplicate.
- Name of Applicant (as on discharge paper): Ludvig K. Gjenvick
- Identification Number: 2100540
- A. If in draft, place of registration: Madison, Minn
B. Serial Number: 540
C. If inducted, Draft Board Order No.: [Blank]
- Present Permanent Address: 1419 Newton Ave N, Minneapolis, Minn
- Place of Birth: Trondhjem, Norway
- Date of Birth: January 11-1892
- Age: 27
- Resident of Minnesota: 4 years, 7 months
- Present occupation: Laborer
- Business Address: 420 N 3rd St
- Name of Employer: Heywood Mfg. Co.
- Name and address of nearest relative: Clara S. Gjenvick, 1419 Newton Ave N, Minneapolis, Minn
- Relationship: Wife
- Name and address of Parents at time of Enlistment, Induction or Commission. None
- Have you made previous application to this State for Soldiers' Monthly Bonus? No
- Have you applied for or received a bonus Gratuity or compensation, whatsoever, from any other State or Country for services in the war against Germany? Not except for 60 dollars when discharged.
- If rejected state reasons given --
- Did you at any time defraud, violate, evade or attempt to evade any of the provisions of the Selective Service Act (Draft Act)? No
- Did you seek to evade Military Service on either of the following grounds: (a) Conscientious Objections No (b) Alienage No
- Legal residence at time of enlistment, induction or commission: Madison, Minn
- Legal residence now: 1419 Newton Ave N
- Where did you vote before entering service: Did not vote
- Length of residence in Minnesota prior to enlistment, induction or commission: 2 years, 6 months
- If married at time of enlistment, induction or commission give name and residence of wife at that time: Not married then.
- Rank (At time of enlistment): Pvt
- Organization: Co. C 381 Inf
- Rank (at time of discharge): Cpl
- Organization: Co. C 346 Inf
- Date and place of enlistment, induction or commission: Madison, Minn
- Age when enlisted, inducted or commissioned: 25 years 9 months
- Date and place reporting for active duty: Sept. 20, 1917 at Madison, Minn
- Date and place of discharge: May 7, 1919 at Camp Grant, Ill; Character given: Excellent
- If Commissioned Officer, date accepting Commission: No
Questions 34 to 43 for Naval Men and Naval Nurses
- Branch of Service. (Regular Navy—Naval Reserve—Coast Guard)
- Date of enlistment (If Regular Navy or Coast Guard.)
- Date of enrollment (If in U. S. Naval Reserve Force.)
- Date reported for active duty
- Station or Ship Station Ship
- Original Rating
- Last Rating
- If Commissioned Officer, date of accepting Commission.