US Army Training Centers - History and Photographs
United States Army Training Centers - Index to Holdings of the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives includes Camp Devens, Dix, Dodge, Funston, Grant, Pike and Zachary Taylor
New England didn't pay a great deal of attention to Camp Devens at first. Afterwards the camp became the hub of our own particular little universe. Scarce a family in the six New England States that didn't have some relative or friend at Devens. It would be difficult to find a person in these Northeastern States who was not in some way interested in it.
Camp Dix, New Jersey was named in honor of Maj. General John Adams Dix, U.S. V., who served as Secretary of the Treasury under President Buchanan. Established July 18, 1917, to serve as training camp for 78th Division (National Army), which occupied the cantonment, August 1917 to May 1918.
Camp Dodge, Iowa was named in honor of Maj. General Grenville M. Dodge, U.S. V., who commanded Iowa volunteers during the Civil War. Established on June 18, 1917 to serve as training camp for 88th Division (National Army), which occupied the cantonment August 1917 to July 1918.
Camp Funston is the only Cantonment possessing a Zone of Camp Activities, representing an invesment of over $1,500,000, financed and built by private capital, without cost to the Government, planned under the personal direction of Captain Dick B. Foster. It is four city blocks long, containing an arcade where refreshment booths are established.
Named in honor of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, U. S. A., Commander-in-Chief, U. S. A., 1864-69, and President of the United States, 1869-77. Established, July 18, 1917, to serve as training camp for 86th Division (National Army), which occupied the cantonment, August 1917 to August 1918. Construction started June 24, 1917 and continued through 1918.
Camp Pike, Arkansas was named in honor of Brigadier General Zebulon M. Pike, U.S. Army, discoverer of Pike's Peak; killed in action, 1818. Established July 18, 1917 to serve as training camp for 87th Division (National Army) , which occupied the cantonment August 1917 to June 1918. Construction started June 17, 1917 and continued through 1918.
Camp Zachary Taylor was established by Act of Congress for the purpose of training men for the World War. It was situated near Louisville, Kentucky. The Original tract comprised two thousand seven hundred acres which was later added to as more space was required to take care of the men assigned to this training ground. Major Lamphere had supervision of the first 1200 barracks buildings, construction of which was begun on June 22, 1917.