Camp Dodge - World War 1 Cantonment - A.E.F. Training Center - Iowa
Camp Dodge, Iowa was named in honor of Maj. General Grenville M. Dodge, U.S. V., who commanded Iowa volunteers during the Civil War. Established on June 18, 1917 to serve as training camp for 88th Division (National Army), which occupied the cantonment August 1917 to July 1918. Construction started June 19, 1917 and continued through 1918. Designated as a demobilization center on December 3, 1918, Retained as permanent reservation.
Index to Holdings of Camp Dodge Documents at the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives
Souvenir booklet packed with photographs of the construction and occupation by WWI infantry recruits, officers and support personnel. 103 Photographs total.
- 1918-02 Photograph - Drafted Men on the way to Camp Dodge, Iowa. From the Collection of the Minnesota Historical Society.
- 1919-08-11 Souvenir Folder of Views of Camp Dodge, Iowa. Views included: Base Hospitals, Base Hospital Ward, Red Cross Building, Recreation area, Y.W.C.A. Hostess House, Drilling New Recruits, Officers Quarters, Open Air Instruction, Y.M.C.A. Auditorium and Information Bureau, Birds Eye View of Camp Dodge, Social Room, Y.M.C.A. Building, Stacked Arms, and One of the Y.M.C.A. Buildings.