Navy Boot Camp Book 1954 Company 23W The Compass
Front Cover, Great Lakes USNTC "The Compass" 1954 Company 23W. GGA Image ID # 12b7f83e24
Roster for WAVE Recruit Company 23W for 1954, United States Naval Training Center, Bainbridge, Maryland. Company Commander: M. Carver, RM1. 38 Women Graduated 27 September 1954.
Company 54-23W Organization
- Organization: 31st Battalion, 3rd Regiment
- Commenced Training: 30 July 1954
- Completed Training: 27 September 1954
Company 54-23W Command Officers
CAPTAIN LOUISE K. WILDE, U. S. NAVY
Assistant Chief of Naval Personnel for Women
CAPTAIN LOUISE K. WILDE, U.S.N., fourth director of the WAVES, has been Assistant Chief of Naval Personnel for Women since relieving retired Captain Joy Bright Hancock, U.S.N., on I June 1953. She is a former newspaper woman and educator who has been in the Navy since August, 1942.
Her Navy assignments have included serving with each of the previous WAVE directors and have taken her to Hawaii, where she was District Director for the 4,000 WAVES in that area. Prior to the assumption of her present duties she was assigned to the Staff of Commander, Western Sea Frontier, in San Francisco, as Assistant Director, Shipping Control Division.
A native of Concord, N. H., Captain Wilde attended the public schools in that city and received her B.A. degree from Mount Holyoke College in 1931. In 1941, she received her M.A. degree from Columbia University.
She worked for several years as a newspaper woman and was Director of Publicity at Mount Holyoke College. She was also Assistant to the President and the Freshman Dean at Rockford College in Illinois.
Captain Wilde holds the Bronze Star Medal, Commendation Metal Pendant, American Area Campaign Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Area Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, and the National Defense Service Medal.
LT. COMMANDER JEAN M. STEWART, U. S. N.
Officer-in-Charge Recruit Training for Women in the Navy
LIEUTENANT COMMANDER JEAN M. STEWART, U.S.N., reported to the Recruit Training Command for duty as Officer-in- Charge of Recruit Training (W) in December 1952. Just prior to assuming her present duties,
Miss Stewart was Assistant for Women and Assistant Personnel Officer on the staff of the Chief of Naval Air Training at the Naval Air Station, Pensacola, Florida.
A graduate of Mills College, Oakland, California, Miss Stewart was first commissioned an Ensign in the Naval Reserve in March 1943. Her first duty was with an Advanced Base Outfitting Detachment of the Amphibious Training Command at Port Hueneme, California, where she served as Administrative Assistant until April 1945.
This assignment was followed by duty, also in administration, on the staff of the Commander, Western Sea Frontier, with headquarters in San Francisco, California.
In August 1946 she was transferred to Washington, D. C., where her assignments included duty in the Office of Naval Material, the Bureau of Aeronautics, the Air Transport Section of the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations and on the staff of the Commander, Fleet Logistic Air Wings, as Assistant Air Traffic Coordinator.
In recognition of her services during World War II, Miss Stewart was awarded the American Area Campaign Medal and the Victory Medal.
Company 54-23W NCO Instructors
- J. M. Stewart, LCDR, USN - OinC, RT(W)
- M. T. Flynn, Lt., USN - Regimental Commander
- L. F. McCarty, Lt., USNR - Instruction Officer
- V. Atkinson, Lt., USNR - Personnel Officer
- B. R. Tennant, Lt., USN - Schedule & Uniform Officer
- B. J. Ross, Lt., USNR - Materiel Officer
- L. J. Fox, Lt.(jg), USN - 31st Battalion Commander
- H. F. Burczak, Lt.(ig), USNR - Instructor Training & Training Aids Officer
- L. Williamson, Ens., USNR - 32nd Battalion Commander
- N. B. LaBonte, Ens., USNR - Physical Training Officer
- M. Anderson, PN2, USN - Battalion Adjutant
- L. M. C. Baker, YN1, USN - Company Commander
- B. P. Brooks, PN2, USN - Regimental Clerk
- M. V. Brown, SHSA, USN - Beauty Shop
- T. C. Bukousky, YN1, USN - Instruction
- P. M. Callahan, PNSN, USN - Physical Training
- B. M. Carver, RMI, USN - Company Commander
- C. F. Clabes, SN, USN - Uniforming
- S. L. Crowe, SN, USN – Materiel
- J. Davis, SN, USN – Regimental
- A. M. DeLeo, YNC, USN - Company Commander
- B. L. Deno, SN, USN - Physical Training
- A. G. Dilanjian, SKI, USN - Company Commander
- M. D. Doherty, YNC, USN - Company Commander
- A. Dorian, PN2, USN - Schedule
- H. K. Duggan, PN2, USN - Instruction
- F. G. Franklin, HM1, USN - Physical Training
- M. L. Franklin, AKC, USN - Materiel
- M. A. Gay, SKC, USN - Regimental Adjutant
- M. E. Graham, AC3, USN - Materiel
- A. H. Hall, AK1, USN – Instruction
- M. O. Hall, PNC, USN - OinC Yeoman
- R. P. Hance, PN3, USN - Personnel
- H. I. Harris, PN2, USN - Materiel
- H. C. Harty, YN1, USN - Instruction
- S. Haskin, PNSN, USN - Instruction
- A. D. Hayes, YN1, USN - Company Commander
- E. R. Hicks, PNC, USN - Company Commander
- R. L. Hoctor, PNC, USN - Instruction
- K. Howrigan, SN, USN - Materiel
- R. M. Hydzik, HM1, USN - Physical Training
- A. M. James, PN3, USN - Physical Training
- W. F. Jones, AKC, USN - Company Commander
- L. G. King, PN2, USN - Materiel
- H. Kostohryz, SKCA, USN - Instruction
- K. L. Langdon, AK1, USN - Materiel
- L. E. Long, PN3, USN - Materiel
- M. A. Long, SKC, USN - Company Commander
- F. H. Meehan, SH1, USN - Beauty Shop
- M. M. Millar, DK1, USN – Personnel
- T. M. Mish, SA, USN - 31st Battalion Clerk
- P. A. Muenchow, TEM1, USNR - Company Commander
- M. A. Nielsen, PNSN, USN - Instruction
- M. L. Pearson, SK2, USN - Instruction
- M. Petee, SKI, USN - Drill
- N. G. Pickett, PN1, USN - Company Commander
- J. Raftell, SN, USN - Materiel
- N. B. Redditt, DK2, USN - Instruction
- C. L. Richardson, SN, USN - 32nd Battalion Clerk
- F. G. Richardson, YNC, USN - Company Commander
- O. P. Rowan, SKI, USN - Company Commander
- M. E. Roush, PNC, USN - Company Commander
- M. E. Russ, PN3, USN - Personnel
- N. C. Sinclair, PNSN, USN - Instruction
- V. L. Smalczeski, YN1, USN – Instruction
- G. Thacker, SN, USN - Materiel
- L. L. Thompson, YN1, USN – Uniforming
- A. B. Umsted, SN, USN - Physical Training
- M. Vigen, SKI, USN - Materiel
- R. Vincent, SN, USN - Materiel
- E. C. Wadsworth, DK3, USN - Drill
- V. H. Waskow, DKC, USN - Company Commander
- A. B. Watson, PNSN, USN - Physical Training
- E. H. Wedemeyer, DK1, USN – Instruction
- L. E. Wentworth, YN1, USN - Instruction
Company 54-23W Leadership
- Company Commander: M. Carver, RM1
Company 54-23W Recruit Roster
- Joyce A. Auxt - Duncannon, Pa.
- Ruby L. Boelter - Hebron, III.
- Joan R. Bresnahan - North Syracuse, N. Y.
- Jean A. Brewster - Burlington, Vt.
- Shirley A. Brown - Reading, Pa.
- Camilla Cranton - Norwell, Mass.
- Helen J. Darby - West Linn, Ore
- Elinor G. Davis - Rome, Ga.
- Annette H. Desilets - Woonsocket, R. I.
- Ruth E. Eipper - Port Byron, III.
- Virginia M. Ellis - Waltham, Mass.
- Mary D. Everett - Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
- Joanne First - Tehachapi, Calif.
- Beverly J. Fuss - Raymond, Wash.
- Betty K. Hinderliter - Glasford, III.
- Josephine K. Johnson - Greybull, Wyo.
- Alice J. Kunert - Detroit, Mich.
- June L. Laster - Clifton, N. J.
- Marilyn A. Lawler - Seattle, Wash.
- Edith E. Manning - Olathe, Kan.
- Mae H. Martin - Pasay City, Philippine Island
- Eleanor G. Miller - Mechanicsburg, Pa.
- Virginia A. O'Donnell - Lynn, Mass.
- Gerry M. Owens - Monticello, Ark.
- Marcia A. Papanek - Kenosha, Wis.
- Doris R. Parnell - Savannah, Ga.
- Pearl T. Provencher - Manchester, N. H.
- Billie R. Ray - Camanche, Iowa
- Pauline G. Reardon - Lowell, Mass.
- Iva L. Roberts - Oakland, Calif.
- Joan M. Sherman - Hoosick Falls. N. Y.
- Mildred E. Simpson - Clinton, Iowa
- Mary E. Smart - Fairbury, Neb.
- Roberta E. Spangler - Niagara Falls, N. Y.
- Georgia A. Stier - Oregon City, Ore.
- Faye R. Sturgell - Lake Charles, La.
- Carolyn J. Tisdale - Lakeworth, Fla.
- Patricia A. Wardley - Baltimore, Md.
Navy Boot Camp Recruit Photos - Company 54-23W
Company 54-23W Commanding Officers, Page 1. GGA Image ID # 12b81aea02
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 2. GGA Image ID # 12b8a2753b
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 3. GGA Image ID # 12b8d2808d
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 4. GGA Image ID # 12b8db6f2d
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 5. GGA Image ID # 12b9255894
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 6. GGA Image ID # 12b98c8dde
Company 54-23W Non-Commissioned Officers, Page 7. GGA Image ID # 12b998fe9e
Company 54-23W Recruits, Page 8. GGA Image ID # 12b9cf1e41
Company 54-23W Recruits, Page 9. GGA Image ID # 12b9cfb132