The Bluejackets' Manual, Tenth Edition 1940
The Bluejackets' Manual
United States Navy
United States Naval Institute
Copyright 1938, 1939, 1940 by U.S. Naval Institute, Annapolis, Maryland.
The Bluejackets Manual of 1940 gave all recruits the information necessary to integrate themselves into the Navy and be successfull. You'll find that everything a recruit would need to know such as: The History The Rules and Regulations Uniforms and Insignias Ordanance, etc. There are a number of illustrations and photographs including a few oversized foldouts, many in color. Explanations of the how too's of being a Bluejacket!
Foreword To The Tenth Edition
This tenth edition has become necessary by the Navy's adoption of the U. S. Army's drill regulations and the desirability of new type setting for clearness of print. As compared with the ninth edition (revised) the following changes should be noted:
Chapters 7, 8, and 9 now accord with the close order drill of the U. S. Army.
Chapter 41, "Artillery: School of the Platoon," has been replaced by "Cart Drill."
Chapter 51, "Artillery: 75-mm. Pack Howitzer," has been omitted because that weapon will no longer be carried aboard ship.
G. V. Stewart
Captain, U. S. Navy
U. S. Naval Institute
Table of Contents
- Part 1.-For The Recruit
- Part 2.-Subjects All Enlisted Men Should Know-A To N
- Part 3.-Rudimentary Seamanship And Gunnery
- Part 4.-Advanced Seamanship And Gunnery
- Part 5.-Physical Drills
- Part 6.-Landing Force
- Part 7.-Miscellaneous
- Plate I. Flags Of Principal Maritime Nations
- Plate II. Flags Of Principal Maritime Nations
- Plate III. Distinctive Flags And Pennants
- Plate IV. Flag And Dot And Dash Alphabet
- Plate V. Numeral Flags And Pennants
- Plate VI. Special Flags And Pennants
- Plate VII. Special Flags And Pennants
The National Anthem - The Star-Spangled Banner
Fold-Out Oversized Illustrations Include:
- Fig. 43-3. Firing Lock Detail
- Fig. 43-9. Marking Of Shells
- Fig. 47-18-Gun-Factory wire splice in 6 stages.
Library of Congress Listing
- LC Control No.: 03001595
- Type of Material: Serial (Periodical, Newspaper, etc.)
- Main Title: The Bluejackets’ manual / United States Navy.
- Published/Created: Annapolis, Md. : United States Naval Institute,
- Related Names:
- United States Naval Institute.
- United States. Navy.
- v. : ill. ; 15-22 cm.
- Fifth ed. (1917) called also: Rev. Nov. 1916, and: Authorized ed.
- Began with 1st ed. (1902).
- Current Frequency: Irregular
- Cancelled/Invalid LCCN: sn 91028220
- Notes: At head of title, 1946- : U.S. Navy.
- Description based on: 5th ed. (1917).
- Imprint varies:
- 1917, New York, Military Pub. Co. --
- 1918, New York, E. N. Appleton. --
- 1922-1927, Washington, U.S. Govt. Print. Off. (varies slightly).
- Some issues in rev. editions.
- SERBIB/SERLOC merged record
- Subjects: United States. Navy --Sailors’ handbooks.
- LC Classification: V113 .B55
- Dewey Class No.: 359
- Other System No.: (OCoLC)ocm03045881
- Geographic Area Code: n-us---
- Quality Code: lcd premarc