GG Archives About Us and Administrative Information
The GG Archives is a Social and cultural history archive with many collections including primary source documents on Steamships, Ocean Liners, Passenger Lists (1880s-1950s), Immigration, World War I and II, Works Progress Administration, Historical Menus, Vintage Fashions and more.
The founder of the Archives, Paul Gjenvick, originally named the archives "The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Family History Center" and included the family history of the Gjenvick's in the United States and the Gjønvik's in Scandinavia. Gjenvick is the original but incorrect translation of Gjønvik - a unique Norwegian name that first appeared in the late 1800s.
In 2003, the name was shortened to the "Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives" to represent the family that started the archives. The family history section pertaining to the Gjenvick-Gjønvik family has since been removed and is currently being researched by various family members in Upper Midwestern US.
The GG Archives About Us & Administration section provides quick access to organizational history and information.
Topics from A to Z
- About Us
- Awards - Genealogy
- Awards - General
- Awards - Maritime
- Awards - Merit
- Collection Policy
- Contact Us
- Educational Materials
- External Resources
- Founding of GG Archives
- Genealogy Research
- Mailing List
- Mission Statement
- Order Images
- Press Kit
- Social Media
- Using the Archives
Pronouncing Our Name
The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives name is Norwegian. The English version "Gjenvick" is pronounced with a silent "G" as in "Jenvick". The Gjønvik is the original Norwegian spelling and is sound similar to "Yawn Vik" in pronunciation.
Did You Know?
Over our 20+ year history, technology has changed dramatically, including how we scan photographs. In 2000, our "Master" images were 96 DPI scans. Today, our "master" images employ 600 or 1200 DPI scans. The difference in quality is substantial.
Library of Congress, Network Development and MARC Standards Office
- ID: 39529
- MARC Org Code: GaWsGGA;
- normalized: gawsgga
- ISIL: US-gawsgga
- Other Codes: None
- Organization Name(s): The Gjenvick-Gjonvik Archives
- Variant name(s): The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives, GG Archives
AFFILIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
The GG Archives Around the World
- Chinese: GG档案馆 | Gjenvick-Gjønvik檔案
- Aribic: أرشيفات GG | أرشيف جينفيك-جونفيك
- Danish: GG Arkiver | Gjenvick-Gjønvik Arkiv
- Dutch: GG Archieven | Archief van Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Finish: GG-arkistot | Gjenvick-Gjønvikin arkisto
- French: Archives GG | Archives Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- German: GG-Archiv | Gjenvick-Gjønvik-Archiv
- Greek: Αρχεία GG | Αρχείο Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Hebrew: ארכיון GG | Gjenvick-Gjønvik ארכיון
- Japanese: GGアーカイブ | Gjenvick-Gjønvikアーカイブ
- Korean: GG 자료실 | Gjenvick-Gjonnik 아카이브
- Latvian: GG arhīvi | Gjenvick-Gjønvik arhīvs
- Norwegian/Swedish: GG Arkiv | Gjenvick-Gjønvik Arkiv
- Persian: بایگانی GG | بایگانی Gjenwick-Gjønvik
- Polish: Archiwum GG | Archiwum Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Portuguese: Arquivos GG | Arquivo Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Romanian: Arhivele GG | Arhiva Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Russian: Г.Г. Архивы | Архив Йенвик-Йёнвик
- Spanish: Archivos GG | Archivo Gjenvick-Gjønvik
- Thai: คลังเก็บ GG | Gjenvick-Gjønvikเอกสารเก่า
- Turkish: GG Arşivleri | Gjenvick-Gjønvik Arşivi
- Vietnamese: Lưu trữ GG | Lưu trữ Gjenvick-Gjønvik
Whatever your language, the GG Archives has provided information and imagery around the world for over years.