The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives
GG Archives Official Logo
Formed: 1 January 2000
Headquarters: Marietta, Georgia
Major Collections: Bangor Punta, Epicurean, Immigration, Library, Military, Ocean Travel, Vintage Fashions, and WPA.
Owner/Archivist: Paul K. GJENVICK, MAS
Director: Evelyne B. GJENVICK (2018-)
The GG Archives is a large, privately held, archives of genealogy, military, and other ephemera dating from the mid 1800s through 2000. The site contains over 5,000 pages and 20,000 images in 12 topical areas.
Launched on January 1, 2000, the GG Archives offers access to more than 20,000 documents and photographs, including passenger lists, original immigrant passage contracts, steamship brochures, immigration-related documents and much more.
The collections of the GG Archives can generally be categorized in 11 sections: Arts & Entertainment, Biography, Bangor Punta, Epicurean, FAQs, Immigration, Library, Military, Ocean Travel, Vintage Fashions, and the WPA.
Our emphasis is also our greatest strength -- to provide access to the public of our vast collection of historical ephemera that otherwise might be impossible or unlikely to be found elsewhere on the internet.
The site contains superb examples of many documents used by immigrants and the steamship lines that can be extremely useful for the family or professional genealogist in recording family history or determining the origin of the material you have in your possession.
Historical ephemera is often expensive to collect and even more costly to preserve and digitize. It would be relatively easy to close our collections to the public and make it a subscription-based site like Ancestry.com.
However, we believe making our collection available to everyone who has access to the internet is preferable. The generosity of those who believe in our organization and limited advertising allows us to continue serving the patrons of the GG Archives.
Just A Sampling
Finding items from the exact voyage your ancestors traveled on is very unlikely, but not impossible. We recommend augmenting your family book with information and illustrations/photographs of related material. Ultimately, this will likely make your Family History Book more enjoyable to read by supplying context to your research.
Our Military section focuses on the U.S. Navy and has many of the Naval Training Center graduation or yearbooks, popular with the men who served their country during WWII through the year 2000. We also have a substantial number of periodicals published by the Navy or about the Navy that is quite useful for research.
Something For Authors
Authors of maritime-based books or stories often find our materials to be quite valuable from naming of their characters based on various class passenger lists for the period to gleaming information from brochures and articles to understand the environment in which their characters existed.
Finding A Gem
Explore sections of interest to you and discover many gems that may help you understand the life, conditions, social and cultural history experienced by your ancestors. The Norwegian-American heritage of this sites' founder drives the guiding principles of this information-rich website. Learn. Enjoy. Support.
The GG Archives is the work and passion of one person, Paul K. Gjenvick, a professional archivist. Paul earned a Bachelor of Science in Accounting from Minnesota State University and a Masters of Archival Studies from Clayton State University in Georgia where he studied under renowned archivist Richard Pearce-Moses.
Paul's wife, Evelyne, is the newest staff member, joining the GG Archives in 2018 as the director of operations and content researcher/editor.
- "Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives – Some Great Resources for Those Researching Immigrant Ancestors" UpFront with NGS: The Blog for the National Genealogical Society, posted 8 August 2017 https://upfront.ngsgenealogy.org/2017/08/gjenvick-gjnvik-archives-some-great.html
- "Using Web Analytics - Archival Websites", Paul Gjenvick, Clayton State University, 6 May 2012
- "Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives" Article Extracted from Diane L. Richard’s, “Net Notes,” Internet Genealogy magazine, Dec/Jan 2018
- SS Blücher https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Blücher
- Steerage (deck) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steerage_(deck)
- Ephemera - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephemera
- RMS Laconia (1911) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Laconia_(1911)
- Underwater acoustic communication -
- USAHS Marigold - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USAHS_Marigold
- Allan Line Royal Mail Steamers - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Line_Royal_Mail_Steamers
- Camp Dodge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Dodge
- Hapag-Lloyd - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hapag-Lloyd
- American Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Line
- Norddeutscher Lloyd - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norddeutscher_Lloyd
- White Star Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Star_Line
- Red Star Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_Line
- Samuel Bradford Caswell - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Bradford_Caswell
- Big Four (White Star Line) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Four_(White_Star_Line)
- Liebig's Extract of Meat Company - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebig%27s_Extract_of_Meat_Company
- SS Kaiser Wilhelm II - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Kaiser_Wilhelm_II
- O'Day Corp. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Day_Corp.
- William Brown Meloney (1878–1925) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Brown_Meloney_(1878%E2%80%931925)
- SS Leviathan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Leviathan
- Cunard Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line
- `Abdu'l-Bahá's journeys to the West - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%60Abdu%27l-Bah%C3%A1%27s_journeys_to_the_West
- Hamburg America Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_America_Line
- Norwegian America Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_America_Line
- SS France (1910) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_France_(1910)
- Scandinavian America Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_America_Line
- Compagnie Générale Transatlantique - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnie_G%C3%A9n%C3%A9rale_Transatlantique
- Frank P. Sargent - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_P._Sargent
- Dominion Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Line
- Atlantic Transport Line - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Transport_Line
- SS Hamburg (1926) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Hamburg_(1926)
- United States Lines - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Lines
- RMS Oceanic (1899) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Oceanic_(1899)
- Smallpox vaccine - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox_vaccine
- Ellis Island - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellis_Island
- SS Savannah - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Savannah
- Piper Aircraft - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piper_Aircraft
- Johann Poppe - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Poppe
- Immigration to the United States - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_to_the_United_States
- Jacob Aaron Westervelt - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Aaron_Westervelt
- Bangor Punta
GG Archives Promotion in the UK
Gjenvick-Gjonvik-2015-05 MP3 [1.65 MB Duration 2:20]
Gjenvick-Gjonvik-2015-05 WAV [17.6 MB Duration 2:20]
- Contact Us
- Mission Statement
- Enriching Your Genealogy Research - GG Archives
- Contribute Images and Ephemera to the GG Archives
- Mailing List
- Membership in the Archives
- Historical Images
- Survey Comments