The Century Magazine, January 1919, World War 1
The Century Magazine for January 1919 provided the Second Installment on the roots of World War 1 and devoted much of the issue to a number of war related articles and commentaries.
VOLUME 97 No. 3
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- "Westglow" ELLIOTT DAINGERFIELD
From a painting. Printed in color. Frontispiece
- Mrs. Huggins's Hun STACY AUMONIER
Illustrations by Thomas Fogarty 289
- The Tenth Man "CENTURION"
Illustrations by Oscar F. Howard 303
- The Messenger. Ill. ELIZABETH ROBINS
Illustrations by Hamlin Gardner 311
- The Little Houses. Verse VICTOR STARBUCK
Illustrations by Charles S. Chapman 331
- The Red Shadow L FRANK TOOKER
Illustrations by E. W. Kemble 332
- From a Chinese Court.
Six poems by ELIZABETH JANE COATSWORTH
Drawings by Benjamin Y. Morrison 339
- The Roots of the War. by WILLIAM STEARNS DAVIS, WILLIAM ANDERSON, MASON W. TYLER 346
- To Light a Cigarette JOHN LOWREY SIMPSON 365
- Zionism and the World Peace HERBERT ADAMS GIBBONS 368
- "Intelligence" DEAN IVAN LAMB, R. F. G 379
- Russia: a Dissolving View LOTHROP STODDARD 384
- "For the Duration of the War" H G. MOULTON 391
- And a Long Way Off He Saw
Fairyland. Verse WILLIAM ROSE BENET
Decorations by Paul W. Furstenberg 398
- Searchers in the Twilight BASIL KING 400
- Our Battery WILLIAM H. SHELTON
Illustrations by John Wolcott Adams. 407
- Last Wishes. Verse LOUIS UNTERMEYER 416
- The Heseltine Collection SIR SIDNEY COLVIN
IV. French School. Photographs 417
- Types of the New American Army by ALON BEMENT
Drawings by the author 429
- A Ballade of Fair Ladies S FOSTER DAMON
Illustrations by Thelma Cudlipp 432
Advertisements (Partial Listing)
- Mellin's Food Company
- Victor Talking Machine Company - Victrola
- Eaton, Crane & Pike (Writing Paper)
- Pyrene Manufacturing Company
- Vogue Magazine
- The Delineator Magazine
- St. Nicholas Magazine for Boys and Girls
- Vanity Fair Magazine
- Guaranty Trust Company of New York
- The Gorham Company - Silversmiths and Goldsmiths
- Ostermoor & Company - Woman's Dress Fashions
- Valentine's Valspar - The Varnish That Won't Turn White
- American Radiator Company - Arco Wand Vacuum Cleaner
- Barre Quarriers and Manufacturers Association
- S. D. Warren Company, Publishers
- The Hood Tire Company, Inc.
- Research Laboratories of General Electric Company - Mazda Lamp - Not the name of a thing, but the mark of a service
- The Hammond Typewriter Co.
- Forhan's For The Gums
- Defiance Dividend Check Writer
- Yale & Towne Mfg. Co. (Locks)
- Hodgson Portable Houses
- Eno's Fruit Salt
- The Pepsodent Company
- Arkansas Soft Pine Bureau
- The Pierce-Arrow Motor Car Co.
- Ivory Soap
- Columbia Graphophone Company (Columbia Records)
- Sonora Phonograph Sales Company, Inc.
The articles and pictures are copyrighted and must not be reprinted without special permission.
The Century Co. and its editors receive manuscripts and art material, submitted for publication, only on the understanding that they shall not be responsible for loss or injury thereto while in their possession or in transit. Copies of manuscripts should be retained by the authors.
In the United States the price of THE CENTURY MAGAZINE is $4.00 A YEAR IN ADVANCE OR 35 CENTS A SINGLE COPY; the price of a yearly subscription to a Canadian address is $4.60; the subscription price elsewhere throughout the world is $5.00 (the regular price of $4.00 plus the foreign postage, $1.00).
Foreign subscriptions will be received in English money at one pound, in French money 25 francs, covering postage. We request that remittances be by money order, bank check, draft or registered letter. All subscriptions will be filled from the New York office. The Century Co. reserves the right to suspend any subscription taken contrary to its selling terms, and to refund the unexpired credit.
All subscriptions for and all business matters in connection with THE CENTURY should be addressed to
THE CENTURY CO., 353 Fourth Ave., at 26th St., New York, N. Y.
- W. MORGAN SHUSTER, President
- DON M. PARKER, Secretary
- GEORGE L. WHEELOCK, Treasurer
- JAMES ABBOTT, Ass't Treasurer
BOARD OF TRUSTEES
- GEORGE H. HAZEN, Chairman
- GEORGE INNESS, JR.
- W. MORGAN SHUSTER
Published monthly, The Century Co.. 353 Fourth Avenue, New York. N. Y. $4.00 a year. Entered as second-class matter, February 26, 1915, at the post-office at New York, NY, under the act of March 3, 1879.
(Copyright. 1918, by The Century Co.) (Title Registered II. S. Pat. Off.)
'Entered as Second Class Mail Matter at N. Y. Post Office, and at the Post Oft,
Department, Ottawa. Can.)