The U.S. Navy : A History
Item specifics - Nonfiction Books
Author: Nathan Miller Edition: 3
Publisher: Naval Inst Pr ISBN-10: 1557505950
Subject: History ISBN-13: 9781557505958
Topic: -- Format: Paperback
Language: English Publication Year: 1997
Length: 324 pages
Height: 9.3 in.
Width: 6.3 in.
Thickness: 0.8 in.
Weight: 16.0 oz.
From the Back Cover
As readable as fiction, as timely as today's headlines, this authoritative, concise history of the U.S. Navy traces the development of American seapower from the raggle-taggle Continental Navy of 1775 to current efforts to deploy strategic and tactical naval innovations for the twenty-first century. Originally published in 1977 and revised and updated twice, this book has come to be recognized as the standard history of the Navy, treasured by midshipmen at the Naval Academy and valued by general readers looking for a brief but inclusive study. In telling the story of the Navy, author Nathan Miller describes not only its ships and weapons but the role played by its men and women in the creation and protection of the United States. This new third edition includes enhanced coverage of the Marine Corps.
- Arthur's Preface
- 1. A Navy Is Born
- 2. In Pursuit of Privateers and Pirates
- 3. "A Handful of Fir-built Frigates"
- 4. Distant Stations
- 5. Divided Waters
- 6. A Naval Renaissance
- 7. A Navy Second to None
- 8. The Long Armistice
- 9 " The Way to Victory"
- 10. "Chellenging Years"
- 11. "The Violent Peace"
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 97026244
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Miller, Nathan, 1927-
- Main Title: The U.S. Navy : a history / Nathan Miller.
- Variant Title: United States Navy
- Edition Information: 3rd ed.
- Published/Created: Annapolis, Md. : Naval Institute Press, c1997.
- Descrip. ; 23 cm.
- ISBN: 1557505950 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references (p. 297-324).
- Subjects: United States. Navy --History.
- LC Classification: VA55 .M55 1997
- Dewey Class No.: 359/.00973 21
- Geographic Area Code: n-us---