Army Service Records of the First World War: Public Record Office Readers' Guide No 19
Simon Fowler, William Spencer, Stuart Tamblin, Army Service Records of the First World War, Public Record Office Readers' Guide No 19, © 1997, PRO Publications, United Kingdom, Soft cover, 77 Pages, 1-873162-55-3. Dimensions (in inches): 0.23 x 9.64 x 7.52.
- Service Records of other Ranks
- Other sources at the Public Record Office
- Officers' Records
- Records of other Services
- Sources outside the Public Record Office
- Service Records from other countries
- The Medal Records.
This revised edition offers an introduction to the surviving service record for World War I non-commissioned officers and ordinary soldiers. It includes the 1998 release of service records for officers, with detailed explanations and illustrations of the most common forms to be found among the records.
It reveals how to search the Medal Rolls for awards for gallantry and for service, as well as describing other sources that can be used to track and illuminate an individual's war service, notably war diaries, trench maps and major collections outside the Public Record Office. The records are brought to life by case studies of two ordinary soldiers and one notable officer - Lieutenant Siegfried Sassoon.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 98192924
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Fowler, Simon.
- Main Title: Army service records of the First World War / Simon Fowler, William Spencer, Stuart Tamblin.
- Edition Information: 2nd ed. / revised and updated by William Spencer.
- Published/Created: Kew, Richmond, Surrey : PRO Publications, 1997.
- Related Names:
- Tamblin, Stuart.
- Spencer, William, 1963-
- Great Britain. Public Record Office.
- Description: xii, 77 p. : ill., maps; 25 cm.
- ISBN: 1873162553
- Cancelled/Invalid LCCN: 2002421934
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references (p. 75-77).
- Great Britain. Army --Personnel records.
- Great Britain. Army --Records and correspondence.
- Great Britain. Public Record Office --Guidebooks.
- Great Britain. Army --History --World War, 1914-1918 --Sources.
- World War, 1914-1918 --Registers.
- Soldiers --Great Britain --Registers.
- World War, 1914-1918 --Sources.
- Series: Public Record Office readers’ guide; no. 19
- LC Classification: D609.G7 F69 1997
- National Bibliography No.: GB98-26353
- Other System No.: (OCoLC)ocm38886234
- Geographic Area Code: e-uk---
- Quality Code: lccopycat