The Red Star Line and International Mercantile Marine Company
RISE AND SHINE FOR THE RED STAR line! For years the crews of the Red Star Line ships were awoken with this call.
The Red Star Line, one of the oldest and best known shipping lines ever to send ships out to sail the oceans, was founded in 1872 and liquidated in 1935. All of the Red Star ships, bearing such famous names as the VADERLAND, NEDERLAND, BELGENLAND, RHYNLAND, WESTERNLAND and PENN- land, sailed under the Belgian flag, although the Company was financed by Americans.
Vernon E. W. Finch, once the youngest crew member on the Red Star ships, has written the whole story of this renowned shipping concern. Ffis book is based on years of re¬search, and contains many useful photo¬graphs of the Red Star ships, their interiors, their crews and the Red Star buildings. Vernon E.W. Finch himself says: ‘The end result is this book about an unusual maritime venture, written with the sole purpose of preserving for future generations a record as detailed as I could find about the Red Star Line.’
- Chapter 1 The First Red Star Line
- Chapter 2 The International Navigation Company Of Philadelphia
- Chapter 3 The American Line
- Chapter 4 The International Navigation Company Of New Jersey And Of Liverpool
- Chapter 5 The International Mercantile Marine Company Of New Jersey
- Chapter 6 The U.S. Investigation Of The Practices Of Steamship Lines
- Chapter 7 Mishaps Involving Red Star Liners Period: 1873-1914
- Chapter 8 Rescues By The Red Star Liner Kroonland
- Chapter 9 Red Star Liners In World War I
- Chapter 10 Major Losses of International Mercantile Marine Company Ships Period: 1912-1918
- Chapter 11 The International Mercantile Marine Company In Financial Difficulties
- Chapter 12 The Liquidation
- Chapter 13 The Liquidation and the Belgenland
- Chapter 14 The Liquidation and the Pennland and Westernland
- Chapter 15 The Pennland and Westernland in World War II
- Chapter 16 The End of the International Mercantile Marine Company and Merger with the United States Lines
- Chapter 17 Charts of Red Star Line Ships
- Bibliography, Acknowledgements, Photo Credits
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- 151 p. : ill. (some col.); 27 cm.
LC classification (full)
- HE945.R38 F56 1988
LC classification (partial)
Portion of title
- International Mercantile Marine Company
- Red Star Line
- Red Star Line--History.
- International Mercantile Marine Co.--History.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 148-149).
Type of material