Receipt for Part-Payment - New York to Hamburg - 28 April 1933
Hamburg America Line Receipt For $50 Part-Payment for Cabin Class Passage on the SS St Louis, Departing 20 May 1933 from New York to Hamburg Dated 28 April 1933. GGA Image ID # 12d201e1ff
Summary of Receipt for Part-Payment
- Date of Purchase / Voyage: 28 April 1933 / 20 May 1933
- Steamship Line: Hamburg America Line
- Steamship: SS St Louis
- Route: New York to Hamburg
- Ticket Type: Receipt for Part-Payment
- Voyage Class: Cabin Class
- Name on Contract: Mr. John Sidebotham, Mr. W. S. Steffen, Mrs. Steffen & Child
- Etnicity of Passenger(s): Unknown
- Contract Terms: Transcribed
- Cost of Ticket: $500.50 / $9,990.00 USD in 2020
Receipt for Part-Payment Details
Receipt for partial payment for a party of four for passage from New York to Hamburg on the SS St. Louis of the Hamburg America Line dated 28 April 1933. Fare for Each Adult was $143.00 Plus Tax for a cabin class berth.
ALL SAILINGS SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Hamburg America Line
39 Broadway, New York NY
RECEIPT FOR PART-PAYMENT
RECEIPT No. 125745 - Issued APRIL 28TH 1933
Received FIFTY DOLLARS
On account of passage of Mr. John SIDEBOTHAM, Mr. W. S. STEFFEN, Mrs. STEFFEN & CHILD as per margin
- In the CABIN Class of the Steamship ST. LOUIS
- To sail from: New York
- On May 20TH 1933
unless the steamer is prevented from sailing by unforeseen circumstances.
- Reserved for Outward Passage: Room No. 103 L – Berth No. 105 ALL
- 3 Adults @ 143.00 Plus Tax
- 1 Child
The balance of the passage money for both the outward and return passages, must be paid at least three weeks before sailing from New York or Boston, when this Receipt will be exchanged for the Regular Ticket. If the balance is not paid when due, the Company shall be at liberty to dispose of the accommodation to other parties, but the money hereby receipted for shall continue the property of the Company, unless it succeeds in reselling the berth or berths reserved.
All questions as to the rates are subject to our regular tariff in force at the time of issuance of this receipt.
When issuing ticket insert number here:
ALL PAYMENTS SHOULD BE MADE EITHER IN CASH OR IN EXCHANGE ON NEW YORK PAYABLE TO HAMBURG-AMERICAN LINE, AND NOT TO INDIVIDUALS.
THIS RECEIPT TO BE RETURNED UPON PAYMENT OF THE BALANCE OF THE PASSAGE MONEY.
RETURN PASSAGES MUST BE PAID BEFORE DEPARTURE OF PASSENGERS
Relative Cost of Passage Ticket in Today's Currency Value
$143.00 x 3.5 (3 Adults + 1 Child) = $500.50 Total Fare
In 2020, the relative values of $500.50 from 1933 ranges from $8,140.00 to $183,000.00.
A simple Purchasing Power Calculator would say the relative value is $9,990.00. This answer is obtained by multiplying $500.5 by the percentage increase in the CPI from 1933 to 2020.
This may not be the best answer.
The best measure of the relative value over time depends on if you are interested in comparing the cost or value of a Commodity, Income or Wealth, or a Project.
If you want to compare the value of a $500.50 Commodity in 1933 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real price of that commodity is $9,990.00
- real value in consumption of that commodity is $26,200.00
- labor value of that commodity is $33,000.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $36,900.00 (using production worker compensation)
- income value of that commodity is $69,600.00
- economic share of that commodity is $183,000.00
If you want to compare the value of a $500.50 Income or Wealth, in 1933 there are five choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real wage or real wealth value of that income or wealth is $9,990.00
- household purchasing power value of that income or wealth is $26,200.00
- relative labor earnings of that commodity are $33,000.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $36,900.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative income value of that income or wealth is $69,600.00
- relative output value of that income or wealth is $183,000.00
If you want to compare the value of a $500.50 Project in 1933 there are four choices. In 2020 the relative:
- real cost of that project is $8,140.00
- household cost of that project is $26,200.00
- labor cost of that project is $33,000.00 (using the unskilled wage) or $36,900.00 (using production worker compensation)
- relative cost of that project is $69,600.00
- economy cost of that project is $183,000.00
Source: www.measuringworth.com Samuel H. Williamson, "Seven Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.S. Dollar Amount, 1790 to present," MeasuringWorth, 2022.