Immigrant Steamship Contract for Passage 1921
Contract for third class/steerage passage on the SS George Washington by a German Immigrant on 17 September 1921, sailing from Bremen to New York. This immigrant carried a Certificate of Innocence with him for the immigration authories.
United States Lines, New York, Ticket No. 3027
Contract about transportation to a non-European port without change of steamer.
The Following transportation contract has been made between the United States Lines, New York and the undersigned passenger, the same being considered the head of the family in case the ticket is issued for a family.
- Transportation as well as full board during the sea voyage will be provided from Bremen on the George Washington in the third class of the American steamship of the United States Lines by sea to the port of New York by steamer/rail third class.
- The passage money for the persons named hereunder has been agreed upon as follows:
Family Name: Oriebe ???
Given Name: Nemerick ??
Married or Single: e (Single)
Country of which a citizen or subject: Deutschland / Germany
Last Residence: Küteuchaissez ??
State or Province: Wessfe???
As far as to the non-European port the passenger has, beyond this amount, nothing more to pay either for his passage or for the transport of his baggage (with the exception of any overweight) or for board and lodging.
The Departure takes place at Bremen on the 17 September 1921 at ___ o'clock a.m./p.m.
Passengersfeost have their baggage checked at the Norddentscher Lloyd Baggage office, Hauptbahnhof Bremen, the day before sailing between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. The passengers must arrive in time for the departure and if they are not present at the time fixed, half the passage money is forfeited.
- The passengers have to pay the expenses arising from their stay at Bremen until departure of the special train or of the steamer from Bremen as fixed in this contract. In case of any delay in the transportation in Bremen, not due to the passengers fault, boardr&nd lodging in an emigrant hotel will be provided for him without extra charge, beginning with the day of departure as indicated in this contract or with the day of arrival in the oversea port. Should the delay in the transportation exceed 7 days, the passenger is entitled to withdraw from the contract and demand a refund of the passage money paid, without prejudice to any claims for damages to which he may be entitled in accordance with the civil law.
- In case the passenger or one of the members of his family accompanying him dies before sailing or can prove that he is prevented from sailing by illness or any other incidents beyond his control, the full passage money will be refunded. In case the passenger withdraws from the contract before sailing for any other reasons, only half the passage money can be claimed.
- During the sea voyage, each passenger as well as each child over 10 years old is furnished with a berth with mattress, bolster and blanket, with
the necessary washing - eating - and drinking - utensils. The necessary water for washing and drinking purposes is as well as the necessary accommodation for washing at their disposal. At least three meals will be served daily. Two children under ten years will be considered as one adult passenger.
- Passengers falling ill daring the sea voyage will receive the necessary
nursing and medicine free of charge.
- That ten cubiv feet of personal baggage for each adult passenger will be carried without additional charge; if the baggage, without reference to its value, exceeds 10 cubic feet in measurement, for each passenger, the passenger shall pay 60 cents for each cubic foot in excess thereof. But it is agreed that neither the Company, nor the passage broker or agent, nor the ship, is in any case liable for loss of, or injury to, or delay in delivery of baggage or personal effects of any passenger beyond the amount of $ 25.00, at.which sum it is hereby mutually agreed that the same is value and upon which valuation the price of passage hereunder is in part based, unless the value of the same in excess of that sum be declared at or before the insuance of this contract, or at or before the delivery of said luggage to the ship, and unless an additional compensation at the rate of 1% on such excess of value is paid thereon (in which case the liability shall not exceed such specified value), and unless a special contract is made in duplicate and signed by the parties; and these limitations to the amount of the Company's liability shall also apply to any baggage or property as to which the Company may have become liable as warehousenman either before or after the voyage.
The company undertakes to forward luggage which has been checked in time by the same steamer as that by which the passenger travels and failing to do so will be responsible for any damage.
Upon presentation of their transportation contract the baggage checks will be issued to the passengers by which the luggage is accepted for shipment. Passengers who do not comply with this regulation and consequently receive no baggage check are themselves responsible in case their baggage is not shipped. In such cases the Company cannot be held liable. The difficulties and the great expenses arising to the passenger in case his baggage has to be sent on can only be avoided when all regulations are strictly carried out. The Company cannot be held liable for handbaggage and personal effects for which no baggages check is issued and duly signed by the Company.
Documents, manuscripts, money, jewelry, or valuables of any description, including, such articles as are specified in Section 4281 of the Revised Statutes of the United States shall not be included in baggage and if included by the passenger no liability on account of such articles is assumed by the Company. The Purser will receive from the passenger sealed packages containing such articles or money and will place the same in the ship's safe and will give a written receipt therefor, but the Company is in no event liable for loss of, or injury to, or delay in delivery of the same and receives the same at the passenger's risk, unless the nature of the contents and the value thereof be declared by the passenger and noted upon the receipt given him, and unless a charge of 1% of the value thereof be paid thereon.
Nobody is permitted to take wine, beer, spirits and the like an board. Farther it is strictly forbidden to take explosives, combustibles and the like on board and any person who fails to obey this regulation will be held liable for all damage there from and will be proceeded against according to law.
It is urgently recommended that the passengers when leaving the steamer keep their handbaggage in their own custody and that they take care that their other baggage is handed over tho them at once and in order.
Passengers must see that baggage is distinctly labeled with passenger's name steamer, date of sailing and destination, and if the passenger shall fail to do so, the Company shall not be held liable for loss of the baggage or delay in delivery thereof.
- The passenger shall not be liable in respect of his baggage or personal effects to pay or be entitled to receive any general average contribution.
- That the steamer shall have liberty to proceed without pilots: to tow and assist vessels in all situations; to put back into any port at the discretion of the commander; to deviate from the direct and customary course, and if prevented from sailing or proceeding in the ordinary course to trans-ship the passengers to any other steamer bound for the port of destination, whether belonging to the Company or not.
If on account of an accident at sea or in consequence of other circumstances the steamer should be prevented from continuing the voyage or be forced to break the same for a longer period, the passenger will receive adequate board and lodging and the passengers and their baggage will be forwarded as soon as possible to the port of destination.
- In case of any delay in the continuation of the Journey arising at the non European port of arrival and for which the passenger himself is not responsible, the Company untertakes to provide him with adequate board and lodging. Should the delay exceed seven days, the passenger is entitled to withdraw from the contract and to demand refund of the money paid for the continuation of the iourney, without prejudice to any claims for damages to which he may be entitled in accordance with the civil law. In case the passenger or one of the members of bis family accompanying him dies in the non-European land before the transportation agrees upon is restarted or can prove that he is prevented from continuing the journey by illnes or any other incidents beyond his control, the fare paid for the continuation of the journey will be refunded in full to the passenger or to his heirs. In case the passengef wishes to withdraw from the inland journey at the oversea port of arrival, the amount paid for the said journey will be refunded to him less 10% on his returning the ticket.
- During the sea voyage the passengers have strictly to obey the orders
given them by the captain or his representative.
- No suit, action or proceeding against the Company or the vessel, or the agents of either, for the recovery of baggage or property, or for damages for loss or delay of, or injury to. the same, or for porsonal injury to. or detention of, any passenger, or for breach of the terms hereof, shall be maintained unless the same shall be commenced within ninety days after the termination of the voyage, and shall not be maintainable thereafter, notwithstanding any provision of law of any state or country to the contrary.
- No suit, action or proceeding against the Company or the vessel, or the agents of either, shall be maintained for loss of or injury to, or delay in the delivery of, the passengers baggage unless written notice of the claim with details of the loss, delay or injury be delivered to the Company within twenty days after debarkation of the passenger; nor shall any such suit, action or proceeding be maintained for injury to the passenger or for breach of the terms hereof unless written notice of the claim be delivered to the Company within forty days after debarkation of the passenger.
The price of passage hereunder has been fixed partly with reference to the liability assumed by the Company as defined by this contract, and no agreement, alteration or amendment creating any other or different liability shall be valid unless made in writing and signed for the Company by its Chief Agent at the port of embarkation.
- The Company shall not be held liable for loss, damage, or delay to passengers or baggage howsoever or wheresoever occuring caused directly or indirectly by riots, strikes, lockouts, labor disputes or labor disturbances of any kind, or by the course of action adopted by the Company or other persons whomsoever in contemplation or consequence thereof or in connection therewith without prejudice to the conditions laid down in No. 4, 5, and 9 of this contract.
- The liability of the Company as undertaken by the terms of this contract shall be limited to the time the passenger and this baggage are on board the vessel named in this contract ticket or the Company's tenders used for the purpose of disembarking passengers from such vessel and or other transportation which is provided for herein is included for the convenience of the passenger and at the passenger's risk subject to the ordinary conditions of carriage of each Railway or Transportations Company employed for the purpose or to any special condition required by them. In providing the passenger with tickets of, or transportation by, connecting carriers, the, Company acts only as agent of such connecting carrier.
- In case of quarantine, each passenger must himself bear all risk and
expense thereby caused, and will pay to the Company $ 2,00 per day for
maintenance, payable day by day, whilst maintained on board the steamer.
This regulation applies with the reservation of the condition laid
down in No. 10 of this contract.
- The right is reserved to refuse passage to any one in such a state of health or physical condition as to he unfit to travel or whose condition through disease or otherwise may be dangerous or obnoxious to other passengers.
The Parser will collect the difference on any children not specified in the ticket, or where misrepresentation, has been made as to age.
- The passenger must keep this contract in his possession.
By signing this contract the passenger agrees to the conditions laid down therein. On behalf of the Company the stamp is sufficient.
In case of any differences of opinion the English text is determinative.
Bremen on 17 September 1921