Browse The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives Home Page

Accidents, Safety, and Unions - 1936


Q. Do I get compensation if I am hurt on the job? If so, what do I get?
A. Yes. The most you can get is $25 per month. NOTE.-All safety rules should be carefully followed.
Q. When does my compensation begin if I am hurt?
A. It begins 3 days after your injury is reported.
Q. Where can I find out more about compensation?
A. Every work project has a large cardboard sign with the compensation rules on it. You should read and study it. One of these rules says: "Secure first-aid treatment. Do not neglect small injuries. Blood poisoning or permanent disability or death might result. " This is very important.


Q. Is equipment provided to protect us from injury?
A. Yes. Either the Government or the sponsor of the project will provide goggles, safety belts, or life-lines, to protect you against eye injury, dust, falling when working in quarries, tree-trimming jobs, and other dangers.
Q. Am I expected to work in dangerous places if I am afraid of falling?
A. No. If you get dizzy on scaffolds or around trenches, you should tell your foreman. He doesn't want you to get hurt and will put you at other work.
Q. Am I supposed to work in water without boots on?
A. No. You should have boots. You should provide your own if you possibly can. If you cannot, the sponsor or the Government will furnish boots if the work requires it.
Q. Is it part of my job to look after my own safety?
A. Yes. You should be careful at all times so you will not get hurt or hurt other workers.
Q. Should I report unsafe conditions?
A. Yes. Tell your foreman if you notice any conditions that may cause an accident, or if trucks are speeding or drivers are careless around workmen, or if trenches or scaffolds are not safely braced, or lumber or other things are not properly piled.
Q. Should I report defective tools?
A. Yes, especially cracked wedges or mushroomed drill-heads, dull axes, and splintered handles.
Q. Am I supposed to furnish my own drinking cup?
A. You should, because, if everybody uses the same cup, a disease that someone has might be caught by everybody.
Q. Must I report all injuries?
A. Yes, even minor cuts and scratches. Your first-aid man or your foreman will give you aid until you can get to the doctor, if you need one.
Q. If I disobey safety instructions and am hurt, will I be taken care of?
A. You will be treated for your injury, but if you disobey instructions on purpose you may not get compensation.


Q. Is it all right for me to join a workers' union?
A. Yes.
Q. What are good reasons for not taking a private job?
A. If the job pays substandard wages or has bad working conditions, you do not have to take it.
Q. What if it is to be only a short job?
A. If it is to be a short job, tell your foreman. He should hold your place open for you.
Q. What if the foreman can't keep my job open; can I get back on WPA when the private job ends?
A. If the foreman cannot keep your job open it may be for reasons over which he has no control. You should also ask advice of the WPA Employment Division officials.
Q. Where do I go to apply for work in private business?
A. Go to the National Reemployment Service. Besides supplying workers to Government jobs, the National Reemployment Service gets calls for workers from private businesses and notifies men and women who are registered with them to apply for jobs that are open. Tell the National Reemployment Service what you can do so that they will call you when a private job you can fill comes along, and keep in touch with them.
Q. If I can get private jobs on holidays and after working hours, will it endanger my WPA job?
A. Not necessarily. This will depend on how much you earn on the side and whether the pay you accept interferes with opportunities of other workers.


Return to Top of Page

WPA / Works Progress Administration
GG Archives

Updates and Social Media

  • Visit our Facebook Page for the Latest News About the Activities of the Archives.

Copyright © 2000- Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives. All rights reserved. See Terms of Use.