Browse The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives Home Page

Working Time, Dismissals and Compaints - 1936


Q. Do all workers have to put in the same number of hours on WPA projects?
A. No, but no worker may be required to work more than 8 hours per day, 40 hours per week, or 140 hours in two semi - monthly pay periods, except to make up lost time or in extreme emergencies. This rule is only for WPA and not for other governmental agencies.
Q. Who can change the number of hours I have to work?
A. The WPA Administrator of your State can change the number of hours per day, week, or month; but the hours cannot be more than 8 per day, 40 per week, or 140 in two semi- monthly pay periods, except to make up lost time or in extreme emergencies.
Q. If there is an emergency and I have to work more than the usual number of hours, can I be paid for over-time?
A. No. If you are required to work overtime, your hours will be shorter on another day to make up for the extra time you worked. It is against the law to pay any Government employee in the country for overtime.
Q. If it rains or the project is held up for some other reason such as not having materials, do I get a cut in salary?
A. Yes, unless you can make up the lost time.
Q. Will I get paid for holidays if I don't work?
A. No. You get paid only when you work.


Q. Can I be fired from the job?
A. Yes. You can be fired if your work is not satisfactory.
Q. If I am fired from a project, does that mean that I can't get another Government job?
A. No. If your conduct justifies it, you may get another chance. Ask to be reinstated.
Q. Suppose I am fired for reasons I think are unfair. What can I do?
A. If you think your discharge was unfair, you can appeal to the local WPA officials. If they rule against you, you can appeal to the State officials, and if you are still ruled against and you are not satisfied you may appeal to the Labor Policies Board at the general offices of the Works Progress Administration, Washington, DC.

NOTE.—Foremen, supervisors, and other WPA officials have many trouble-some problems in trying to keep the projects going, and to keep you supplied with tools and a job. They have a right to expect your co-operation in their efforts to see that an orderly and efficient job is done.


Q. Do I have a right to complain about wages, hours, and other things?
A. Yes. You can complain to the foreman, the local WPA office, the State Administrator, or the Labor Policies Board in Washington.
Q. May a union of project workers send a representative or delegate to the WPA district officials to adjust grievances?
A. Yes.
Q. Does the representative have to be a WPA worker?
A. No
Q. Does the Government give extra help to workers who have been sick and lost pay?
A. No. If you need extra help, you will have to get it from the city or county officials or some private agency.
Q. If I am ill, will I get free medical attention from the WPA?
A. No.


Return to Top of Page

WPA / Works Progress Administration
GG Archives

Updates and Social Media

  • Visit our Facebook Page for the Latest News About the Activities of the Archives.

Copyright © 2000- Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives. All rights reserved. See Terms of Use.