Norwegian America Line (NAL) History and Ephemera
The Norwegian America Line (NAL) Den Norske Amerikalinje was started in 1910 to take advantage of the Immigrant trade between Norway and the United States. The transatlantic voyages between Oslo and New York were made with the following Ocean Liners: Kristianiafjord, Bergensfjord, Oslofjord and Stavangerfjord during the period covered by the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives.
Norwegian America Line Historical Documents in the Archives In the Queue For Uploading
Passenger Lists (Passasjerlister)
- 1927-09-13 Cabin, SS Stavangerfjord, Oslo to New York. Captain K. S. Irgens. In Norwegian and Some English.
- 1928-06-08 Tourist Third Class, SS Bergensfjord, Oslo to New York, Captain Ole Bull. In Norwegian and English.
- 1935-07-27 Cabin and Tourist Class, SS Bergensfjord, Oslo to New York, Captain Thorbjørn Thorsen, Voyage 191
- 1937-09-11 List of Passengers, SS Stavangerfjord, Oslo to New York, Captain Ole Bull. In Norwegian and English. Includes handwritten log of voyage (in Norwegian). Arrived in NY on 21 September, 1937.
- 1939-07-06 Cabin, Tourist and Third Class, SS Stavangerfjord, New York to Bergen, Stavanger, Kristiansand and Oslo, Captain K. S. Irgens. Passengers included the Royal Highness the Crown Prince of Norway and the Royal Highness the Crown Princess of Norway. Count of Passengers: Cabin: 79; Tourist: 181; Third Class: 305. Total Passengers : 565. Includes Ticket for Evening Entertainment onboard Stavangerfjord in Third Class Dining Room. Photograph of Iceberg pasted on back cover.
Norwegian America Line Passenger Lists Available at the Archives
- 1914-10-15 Brochure: The Norwegian America Line 1914 Rates - First, Second and Third Class Rates and Information on the Bergen-Kristiania Railway
- ca 1915 Brochure: Norwegian America Line - Information and 31 photographs (some overlapped) of interior and exterior views of the Bergensfjord and Stavangerfjord.
- 1915 Brochure: Sverige - Amerika med Norska Amerikalinjen. Emphasis is on immigrants and third class steerage passengers from Sweden with photographs of the accommodations, information on the accommodations, essential Swedish English words and phrases dictionary and third class deck plans. Excellent brochure for this period in immigration.
Sverige-Amerika med Norska Amerikalinjen. För passagerare, som ämna företaga överresan till Amerika, kan Den Norska Amerikalinjen tryggt anbefallas, och det förtroende och de sympatier, med vilka linjen au den resande allmänheten amfattas, växa dag till dag.
Sweden-America with Norwegian America Line. For passengers who intend to undertake the journey to America, to the Norwegian America Line safely commended, and the confidence and the sympathy with which line the traveling public au amfattas, grow every day.
- 1920s Brochure: Visit the Vikings: On Your Way To Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, England, France. See Norway, Europe's Wonderland The Land of the Midnight Sun. The Norwegian America Line featured Modern Twin-Screw Passenger and Mail Steamers Stavangerfjord and Bergensfjord. 3 Photographs of the interiors of SS Bergensfjord and 5 interior photos of rail car and fjord steamers in Norway.
- 1924-03-20 Brochure No. 11 Norwegian America Line First, Second & Third Class Rates and One Class Cabin for the Modern Twin-Screw Passenger and Mail Steamers Stavangerfjord and Bergensfjord. Direct sailings between New York and Bergen, Stavanger, Kristianssand and Kristiania with Daily Connections to Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany and other European Countries. Includes 9 Interior Photographs, Cabin and Third Class.
- 1925-02-02 Flyer: Sailings 1925 To & From Norway Direct. There were 16 voyages listed in the brochure. Envelope from the Norwegian America Line Agency, Passenger Department, 8-10 Bridge Street New York was included.
- 1938-10-30 Brochure: Sun Trail Cruises Winter 1938-39 to West Indies and South America in the Norwegian America Line New M.S. Oslofjord. 16 Panels - Large Format. Photographs of the ship, Accommodations, Deck Plans, Tours, Maps and More.
- 1914 Photograph: SS Bergensfjord
- 1938-09-10 Luncheon Menu, SS Bergensfjord. Tourist Class, Illustration of Valdres - Girl in Traditional Costume (Bunad) on front cover. In Norwegian and English.
- 1938-09-17 Luncheon Menu, SS Bergensfjord. Tourist Class, Illustration of Voss on front cover. In Norwegian and English.
- 1938-09-17 Farewell Dinner Menu, SS Bergensfjord. Tourist Class, Illustration of Setesdal - Girl in Traditional Costume (Bunad) on front cover. In Norwegian and English.
Hat Tally (Ribbons)
- 1917 Ribbon (Hat Tally): SS Stavangerfjord Yellow Lettering on Black with Norwegian Flag on Left Side and NAL flag on the Right Side.