Baltimore Mail Line History and Ephemera
The Baltimore Mail Line (Baltimore Mail Steamship Company) was primarily a mail service that also carried a limited number of passengers (passenger capacity was about 80 Tourist Class). They operated regular weekly service between the US Ports of Baltimore and Norfolk to the European Ports of Le Havre, France and Hamburg, Germany.
Their Fleet of Five ships, all built in 1918 as freighters of the Eclipse Class were rebuilt into 83-passenger / cargo combination transatlantic ships for the newly-formed Baltimore Mail Line. The Fleet, capable of a speed of 16 knots, consisted of the City of Baltimore, City of Norfolk, City of Havre, City of Hamburg and City of Newport News. The single class liners offered staterooms with outside exposure, hot running water, and Simmons beds.
In 1935, the Baltimore Mail Line offered fares to London or Hamburg for $90 one way or $171 round trip.
They were in operation for a relatively short time from 1930 to 1937. The assets of the Baltimore Mail Line were transferred to the Panama Pacific Line in 1938.
|Baltimore Mail Line|
|1930s Brochure: Outstanding Travel Value to Europe - Baltimore Mail Line - New Ships, One Class, Low Cost|
|This 1930s Brochure offers many interior and exterior views of their transatlantic steamships of the Baltimore Mail Line with routes between Baltimore, Norfolk, Havre and Hamburg.|
|Baltimore Mail Line, Information for Passengers - 1932|
|Rare Passenger Booklet from Baltimore Mail Line covers everything that their patrons would need to know about their voyage. Unlike many of the passenger steamship lines, the Baltimore Mail Line printed the Information for Passengers separate from the Passenger Lists.|
Documents of the Baltimore Mail Line Available at the Archives not yet uploaded
- 1932-11-02 Immigration Control Card, S.S. City of Baltimore, Mrs. Bohansan ? Sheet No. 3, Line 6.