Some Survivors of the Titanic Disaster - 1912

Survivors of the RMS TitanicDisaster in England

Survivors of the RMS Titanic Disaster in England. Photographs by S. and G. News Illustrations, F. D. Casey, and Topical. The Illustrated London News (18 May 1912) p. 736. GGA IImage ID # 101d9a8fcf


We give here portraits of a few of those who had the good fortune to survive the "Titanic" wreck although quite a number of them, the men more particularly, did not leave the sinking vessel in her boats, but were picked up later from the water.

  1. Mr. G. Pregnall. Greaser. Picked up after being in the water an hour and a-half and had his feet and hands frostbitten.
  2. Quartermaster W. Wynn. Had charge of No. 9 Lifeboat, containing 42 women, 3 stewards, 3 sailors, and 2 men passengers. Was in the lifeboat for 6 ½ hours with only matches as lights.
  3. Mr. W. Major. Fireman, was in the last boat to leave the "Titanic.”
  4. Mr. Joughin. Chief baker. Drifted for nearly 3 hours, and then found place on a raft which saved 34. This after he had been pushed off one side of the raft as it was so full.
  5. Mr. Threlfall. Leading Stoker and Mr. McGough. The former has described the closing of the water-tight doors, and how Captain Smith, at  the last, gave the command "Every man for himself.” The latter has said that no one was killed by the collision. He saw Captain Smith go down.
  6. Mr. H. Senior. A stoker.
  7. Mr. F. Prentice, Mr. E. Brown and Mr. W. Lucas, a Saloon Steward. Mr. Prentice, a storekeeper, has said that for a time no one anticipated any real danger. He let himself drop into the sea at the last, taking with him a bottle of brandy, which, after he had been picked up, was thrown away, as it was feared that if any hysterical person in the boat touched it, the result might be bad. Mr. Brown was in the water for three hours.
  8. Group of Stewards. Waiting for Their Statements to Be Taken after Their Arrival on the "Lapland": Stewards, Saved from the "Titanic." outside a Waiting Room at Plymouth Docks.
  9. Stewardesses. Picked up by the "Carpathia": Surviving Stewardesses of the "Titanic."
  10. Stewardess and Turkish Bath Manageress. Saved by the "Carpathia": A "Titanic" Stewardess and (On the Right) Mrs. Slocumbe, Turkish Bath Manageress of the Vessel.

Survivors of the RMS Titanic Disaster in New York

Survivors of the RMS Titanic Disaster in New York. Photographs by Levick, S. and G., Thompson, and L.N.A. The Illustrated London News (18 May 1912) p. 750. GGA Image ID # 101de2f426


  1. The Wireless Operator Who Received the "Titanic's" Distress Signals Aboard the "Carpathia”.  Mr. Cottam, who received the "Titanic's" wireless call for help, and so conveyed to the "Carpathia's" captain the news which sent that vessel speeding to the rescue, gave important evidence, and said the first message received from the White Star liner was "Come at once. Have struck berg. This C.Q.D."
  2. Before Senator Smith, in the Earlier Stages of the Senatorial Inquiry: The Commission Listening to \Vitnesses in the Ball~Room of the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York. (1. Mr. Cottam, wireless operator of the "Carpathia": 2. Signor Marconi; 3. Representative Hughes: 4. Mr. Bruce Ismay: 5. Senator Smith: 6. Mr. Franklin)
  3. Reported to Have Dealt Effectively with a Man Who Tried to Steal the First Operator's Life-Belt: Mr. Harold Bride, of the "Titanic"  Mr. Bride's story of how He dealt with a man who tried to steal the life-belt of Phillips, the first wireless operator of the "Titanic" has been widely reported. Phillips died from exposure.
  4. Carried Ashore with Feet Crushed and Frostbitten: Mr. Harold Bride, Second Wireless Operator of the "Titanic" Leaving the "Carpathia." Mr. Bride, who was washed off the liner with a collapsible boat and picked up, had his feet badly crushed and frostbitten. He could only just climb up the “Carpathia's" rope-ladder, and he was carried ashore at New York. He was taken to the Senatorial Investigation in an invalid chair.
  5. Mystery-Children for a While. For a time, there was a mystery about two of the children saved, for they did not know their names. They have since been found to be Lolo (or Michael) and Momon (or Edmond) Navratil, of Nice.
  6. On Their Way to a Meeting of the Senatorial Commission: Mr. P. A. S. Franklin, Vice-President of the International Mercantile Marine Corporation, Who Believed the "Titanic" Unsinkable; And Mr. J. Bruce Ismay, Managing Director of the White Star Line, a Survivor.
  7. "The Funeral Ship": The Cable-Ship "Mackay-Bennett," Which Went to the Scene of the Disaster to Recover Bodies from the Water. On April 25, the “Mackay-Bennett" wired that she had recovered 205 bodies and was making for Halifax, Nova Scotia.
  8. Waiting to See the Survivors of the Great Disaster: The Crowd outside the Cunard Docks in New York for the Arrival of the "Carpathia." The "Carpathia" arrived at New York with the 705 survivors, on April 18.

"On This Side: Survivors of the "Titanic" Disaster in England," and "On the Other Side: "Titanic" Disaster Survivors in New York," in The Illustrated London News, New York: The International News Company, Vol. 50, No. 1506, Saturday, 18 May 1912, p. 736 and 750.

Return to Top of Page