History of World War II - Armed Services Memorial Edition
HISTORY OF WORLD WAR II BY FRANCIS TREVELYAN MILLER, LITT.D., LLD. WITH A BOARD OF HISTORICAL AND MILITARY AUTHORITIES, WAR PHOTOGRAPHS, OFFICIAL RECORDS, MAPS, RIVERSIDE BOOK AND BIBLE HOUSE, IOWA FALLS, IOWA, 1945, 967 Pages, Hardcover.
102 chapters and a separate chronology of the war and replica of the surrender documents signed aboard the U.SS Missouri by both the Japanese and General MacArthur, and Chronology of the War; Color Frontispiece (Iwo Jima), Illustrated with 128 black and white war photos and maps; red cover boards with gilt titling on spine and gilt flag illustration and titling on front cover.
Miller's epic history of the War written shortly after its end, including brief statements by Eisenhower, MacArthur, the Sec'y of the Navy, the Commandant of the Marine Corps, Admiral Nimitz, the Sec'y of War, the Sec'y of the Navy, and British Ambassador to the US Lord Halifax, as well as an official statement on "What We Fought For in World War II" by FDR.
Prepared with a board of 200 historical and military authorities from more than 30 nations. This book was a work in progress throughout the war, through the organization of a staff of experts, specialists and analysts under the direction of a historian-general. Official communiques from all over the world were analyzed each day. As each event was officially confirmed, it was transcribed into historical narrative for this book.
This is the first History of World War II to present a complete panorama of the greatest struggle in human history, with authentic text, official photographs, maps, records, and documents in a single volume.
Its service is to give homes, schools, and libraries A standard work in which the reader may obtain a comprehensive understanding of the epoch-making events through which we have passed. Here we witness the organization of the greatest armies, navies, and air forces the world has ever known—the gigantic battles on land, sea, and in the air—the might of industrial power and production.
We have lived through the most stupendous struggle in the 7,000 years of recorded history. The destiny of 70 nations and 2,000,000,000 people has been at stake. The homelands of more than three quarters of the population of the earth have felt the iron heel of war. More than 100,000,000, one out of every twenty human beings on the globe, have been engaged in the fighting forces of belligerent nations.
The records of World War II, as set forth in this volume, challenge the imagination. The official lists of numbers killed and wounded are a tragic commentary on civilization: more than 20,000,000 casualties; 30,000,000 more men, women, and children driven from their homes; ro,000,000 more massacred; hundreds of thousands of homes left in ruins.
The cost of this "War for Survival," with its destruction, devastation, and economic losses, is estimated at the sum of $1,000,000,000,000. The great wealth of the world, with its resources, industrial power, and man power, has been concentrated on destruction. Nations have accumulated an indebtedness which far exceeds all the money in the world. The responsibility for meeting this obligation is placed upon future generations to carry the burden.
This is the price we have paid for human freedom. The amount of money consumed in this war is sufficient to build a home for every family in the world, or to give an education to every child on earth. It is far greater than all the moneys ever expended for schools, churches, and hospitals since the beginning of the human race.
We have, therefore, endeavored to make this History of World War II a human history, treating men and events as they directly affect our own lives. The causes which created this human tragedy are herein analyzed, with sketches of the leading personalities and backgrounds of the nations involved.
Military events are clearly visualized from the outbreak of the war to its final battles. Our purpose has been to present these with such clarity that you may follow your own "boys" through to the final victory and re-live the experiences through which they passed.
This service has been accomplished through the organization of a staff of experts, specialists, and analysts under the direction of a historian-general. (The list of staff authorities and writers is given on pages iii and iv, and in the section, "Authorities and Official Sources" on pages 939-941. Divisional chiefs were "on duty" at desks over which more than 6o,000 words from the battlefronts passed every day.
Official communiques from all parts of the world were analyzed each day, with reports and proclamations issued by all the Governments. As each event was officially confirmed, it was transcribed into historical narrative for this book and coordinated by the historian-general.
Throughout the war, conferences were held with official sources, military authorities, and communications with diplomats and statesmen, supplemented by the information organizations representing thirty nations.
While it was the first great "War in the Air," coordinated with land and sea forces, it may also be called the "War of the Scientists," in which invention, discovery, mechanical genius, and mass production take a foremost part. Through this new age of radio, with the elimination of time and space the whole world was in instant communication.
Through cinematography and radio photography, the scenes of action were brought immediately into our homes. The war passed before our eyes on motion picture screens and was preserved on films to pass before the eyes of generations to come.
Another war on this gigantic scale, with further development of instruments for destruction by scientific genius, would place the human race in danger of self-annihilation. Therefore, a clear understanding of World War II is essential for our own self-preservation. The time has come, if we are to survive as peoples and nations, when some cooperative plan must be agreed upon whereby wars can be stopped at their point of inception—some plan whereby we can all live together in peace and security.
This History of World War II is dedicated to that great forward step in human progress. It stands also as a memorial to those who fought and died for this achievement. The colossal magnitude of this war may be visualized when we state that the armies and navies engaged in World War II would form a marching line of men in combat reaching four times around the earth in continuous procession.
May it never happen again.
FRANCIS TREVELYAN MILLER
- VICTORY OF THE UNITED NATIONS—CAUSES AND RESULTS OF WORLD WAR II
- LAST DAYS OF WORLD'S GREATEST WAR—NEW AGE OF THE ATOMIC BOMB
- HISTORIC SCENES. AT SURRENDER OF JAPAN—118 DAYS AFTER GERMANY
- TRIUMPH OF DEMOCRACY—MACARTHUR IN TOKYO—EISENHOWER IN GERMANY
- THE PHENOMENON OF HITLER
- NAZI PLOT TO CONQUER THE WORLD
- RAISING A GENERATION FOR HUMAN SLAUGHTER
- RISE AND FALL OF BENITO MUSSOLINI
- AUSTRIA FIRST TO FALL TO NAZI CONSPIRATORS
- FASCISM AND NAZISM IN VIOLENT ACTION
- CZECHOSLOVAKIA FALLS INTO GRIP OF DESPOTS
- INVASION OF POLAND—HITLER IGNITES THE FUSE OF WORLD'S
- DENMARK FALLS INTO CAPTIVITY
- NORWAY UNDER IRON HEEL OF INVADERS
- BELGIUM IN PATH OF BLITZKREIG
- GERMAN INVASION OF THE NETHERLANDS
- WHY THE BRITISH ENTERED WORLD WAR II
- FRANCE MEETS THE CRISIS IN DEFENSE OF LIBERTY
- GERMAN JUGGERNAUT HURLS ITS POWER AT FRANCE
- THE BATTLE op FRANCE—"VIVE LA REPUBLIQUE"
- THE BATTLE OP BRITAIN—FORTITUDE OF A GREAT PEOPLE
- OCCUPATION OP FRANCE BY NAZIS—A STORY OF INFAMY
- DE GAULLE RALLIES FREE FRENCH UNDER TRICOLOR
- BLITZ IN THE BALKANS—"COCKPIT OF EUROPE"
- RUMANIA—THE BATTLEGROUND FOR OIL
- BATTLE OF YUGOSLAVIA—"CRADLE OF THE SLAVS"
- MODERN ILIAD OF THE HEROIC GREEKS
- BEHIND VEIL OF JAPANESE TREACHERY
- HOW AMERICA WAS DRAWN INTO VORTEX OF WORLD WAR II
- "DAY OF INFAMY"-STABBED IN THE BACK AT PEARL HARBOR
- WAR IN THE PACIFIC-ITS MAGNITUDE AND PROBLEMS
- MACARTHUR LEADS FIGHT TO SAVE PHILIPPINES-THE FALL OF MANILA
- RUSSO-FINNISH CONFLICT-ITS CAUSES AND RESULTS
- RISING POWER OF RUSSIA IN WORLD ARENA
- GERMANY PITS HER MIGHT AGAINST RUSSIA
- BATTLE FOR MOSCOW-RUSSIAN CITIES AFLAME
- BATTLE OF STALINGRAD-GATE TO THE EAST
- THE RED ARMY STRIKES BACK-141 CRUCIAL DAYS
- RUSSIA'S FATE ON THE RIVERS OF DESTINY
- RED ARMY'S MIGHTY SURGE DRIVES GERMANS FROM SOIL OF RUSSIA
- RAPE AND RAPINE IN WAKE OF NAZI ARMIES
- INVADERS STOPPED AT GATES TO EGYPT-I,750 MILE RETREAT ACROSS DESERT
- COMMANDO RAID ON DIEPPE-TEST TUBE FOR INVASION OF EUROPE
- COURAGEOUS CHINA'S LONG DEFENSE OF HER HOMELAND
- INDIA, GOAL OF THE AXIS-BURMA, MALAYA, AND FALL OF SINGAPORE
- JAPS SWEEP THROUGH THE ISLANDS OF THE PACIFIC
- LAST STAND AT BATAAN-CORREGIDOR SURRENDER AND MARCH OF DEATH
- AUSTRALIA-LAND WHERE THE TIDE WAS TURNED BACK
- MACARTHUR STARTS BACK-FIGHTING THROUGH JUNGLES OF NEW GUINEA
- UNITED STATES BECOMES "ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY"-A NATION IN ACTION
- REBIRTH OF AMERICAN SEA POWER INTO WORLD'S GREATEST NAVY
- "SHANGRI-LA"-FIRST RAID ON TOKYO-CRISIS ON CONTINENT OF ASIA
- BATTLE OF CORAL SEA
- BATTLE OF MIDWAY-AND THE ALEUTIANS
- BATTLES OF GUADALCANAL AND THE SOLOMONS-LAND, SEA, AND AIR
- NAVAL BATTLES AT THE "DEAD END" IN THE SOUTHWEST PACIFIC
- AMERICANS LAND IN NORTH AFRICA-FIRST GREAT ALLIED OFFENSIVE
- EISENHOWER STRATEGY AT GATES OF TUNISIA
- GREAT BATTLES IN LIBERATION OF AFRICA
- CASABLANCA-ROAD TO VICTORY AND "UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER"
- BATTLE OF KASSERINE PASS ON THE ROAD TO TUNIS
- ROMMEL ROUTED ON MARETH LINE
- BATTLES LEADING TO HILL 609 AND TRIUMPH
- FALL OF TUNIS AND BIZERTE-FIRST GREAT ALLIED VICTORY
- PANORAMA OF 15,000 MILES IN EAST-AND BATTLE OF BISMARCK SEA
- JAPANESE SUN BEGINS TO SET OVER INDIA-BURMA-CHINA
- TARAWA-CONQUEST OF THE ATOLLS-STEPPING-STONES IN THE PACIFIC
- "I SHALL RETURN"-MACARTHUR ON ROAD BACK TO KEEP HIS PLEDGE
- FINAL STAGE IN GREAT SWING FROM PIVOT AT NEW GUINEA
- SMASHING JAP DEFENSES-BATTLES OF SAIPAN AND PHILIPPINE SEA
- BOMBING 5,000,000 SQUARE MILES IN PACIFIC-GUAM REDEEMED
- AMERICAN NAVY WITH THE AIR FORCES BLAST ROADS FOR MACARTHUR'S ARMY
- "PEOPLE OF THE PHILIPPINES, I HAVE RETURNED!" MAC-ARTHUR AT LEYTE
- INVASION OF SICILY-DOORSTEP TO CONTINENT OF EUROPE
- ABDICATION OF MUSSOLINI-AND THE FALL OF SICILY
- BATTLE OF SALERNO
- FALL OF NAPLES-FIERCE FIGHTING ALONG THE VOLTURNO
- ITALY SURRENDERS-FIRST AXIS POWER TO COLLAPSE
- CRUCIAL BATTLES AT CASSINO AND ANZIO
- LIBERATION OF ROME-ALLIES RESTORE FREEDOM TO THE ETERNAL CITY
- BATTLES FROM ROME TO FLORENCE-PISA-AND THE GOTHIC LINE
- D-DAY-ALLIED FORCES LAND IN FRANCE-START OF WESTERN FRONT
- BATTLES OF NORMANDY
- CONQUEST OF CAEN BY CANADIANS—AMERICANS CAPTURE ST. Lo
- LIBERATION OF FRANCE—VICTORY MARCH INTO PARIS
- BELGIUM AND NETHERLANDS LIBERATED—ALLIES INVADE GERMAN SOIL
- AMERICANS CROSS GERMAN BORDER—ALLIES ON THE RHINE
- SACK OF WARSAW—GERMAN MASSACRE OF THE POLISH PATRIOTS
- LAST BATTLES IN ITALY—EXECUTION OF MUSSOLINI—GERMANS SURRENDER
- BATTLE OF THE BULGE—GERMANY'S LAST ATTEMPT TO COME BACK
- LAST BATTLES IN GERMANY—GREAT CITIES FALL IN RUINS
- RUSSIANS PUSH ON TOWARD BERLIN—FROM THE VISTULA TO THE ODER
- FALL OF BUDAPEST AND VIENNA AS RED ARMY SWEEPS ON
- FALL OF BERLIN—THE PROUD GERMAN CAPITAL LIES IN RUINS
- UNCONDITIONAL SURRENDER! DECISIVE DEFEAT OF GERMANY
- LAST SCENES 1N TRAGEDY OF WAR—COLLAPSE OF GERMAN MIGHT
- TRUTH ABOUT TORTURE CHAMBERS IN AXIS PRISON CAMPS
- WAR IN THE PACIFIC—DECISIVE BATTLE FOR LEYTE GULF
- "HOME AGAIN !" MACARTHUR AT LUZON—ENTERS MANILA IN TRIUMPH
- FALL OF IWO JIMA—BATTERING DOWN THE INNER DEFENSES OF JAPAN
- JAPANESE EMPIRE CRUMBLES IN THE PACIFIC AND ON CONTINENT OF ASIA
- OKINAWA—LAST GREAT BATTLE IN THE PACIFIC—AT DOORWAY TO JAPAN
AUTHORITIES AND OFFICIAL SOURCES
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 45008888
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Miller, Francis Trevelyan, 1877-1959.
- Main Title: History of world war II,
- Published/Created: Philadelphia, Toronto, The John C. Winston company 
- Description: x, , 966 p. col. front., illus. (maps) plates, ports., facsims. 24 cm.
- Subjects: World War, 1939-1945. [from old catalog]
- LC Classification: D743 .M55