Closing the Ring: The Second World War Volume by Winston Churchill
Front Cover, Closing The Ring, The Second World War by Winston Churchill. Boston: HoughtonMifflin Company, 1951. GGA Image ID # 16620773be
1951 Closing the Ring: The Second World War Volume Five How Nazi Germany was Isolated and Assailed on All Sides. Winston S. Churchill. Book One: Italy Won, Book Two: Teheran to Rome
The drive to victory between June 1943 and July 1944, as the Allies consolidate their achievements, with enormous difficulty and great divergence of opinion.
Table of Contents
- The Command of the Seas
Guadalcanal and New Guinea
- The Conquest of Sicily
July and August 1943
- The Fall of Mussolini
- Westward Ho!
- The Quebec Conference "Quadrant"
- Italy: The Armistice
- At the White House Again
The Invasion of Italy
- The Battle of Salerno
- A Homeward Voyage
- A Spell at Home
- Tensions with General de Gaulle
- The Broken Axis
12. Island Prizes Lost
- Hitler's Secret Weapon
- Deadlock on the Third Front
- Arctic Convoys Again
- Foreign Secretaries' Conference in Moscow
- Advent of the Triple Meeting
Teheran to Rome
- Teheran: The Opening
- Conversations and Conferences
- Teheran: The Crux
- Teheran: Conclusions
- Cairo Again: The High Command
- In Carthage Ruins
- At Marrakesh
- Marshal Tito and Yugoslavia
- The Anzio Stroke
- Italy: Cassino
- The Mounting Air Offensive
- The Greek Torment
- Burma and Beyond
- Strategy Against Japan
- Preparations for "Overlord"
- On the Eve
FACSIMILE, MAPS, AND DIAGRAMS
- The Rise and Decline of the U-Boat Fleet
- Cumulative Gains and Losses of Merchant Ships
Outside of Enemy Control
The Battle of the Atlantic:
- The Third Attack on the Convoy Routes
- Phase IV— The Crisis of the Battle
- Phase V— The Great Air-Sea Offensive
- The Conquest of Sicily
- Facsimile of Minute of Prime Minister, May 1942
Piers for Use on Beaches
- The Salerno Landing
- The South Aegean Sea
- Operations in Russia July — December 1943
- Southern Italy Operations September — December 1943
- New Guinea
- The Southwest Pacific
- The Pacific Theatre
- The Coast of Northwest Europe
- Cassino May 11-25
- The Roads to Rome
- The Front in Russia January — June 1944
- Central Italy
- Preface: "Closing the Ring' sets forth the year of conflict from June 1943 to June 1944… the Western Allies were able to conquer Sicily and invade Italy, with the result that Mussolini was overthrown and the Italian nation came over to our side. Hitler with the circle of countries he had occupied was isolated, and with the immense onslaught of Russia from the East was completely surrounded. At the same time Japan had been forced onto the defensive and was vainly trying to hold the vast territories she had overrun."
Library of Congress Listing
- LC Control No.: 51014491
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Churchill, Winston, 1874-1965.
- Main Title: Closing the ring.
- Published/Created: Boston, Houghton Mifflin, 1951.
- Description: xvi, 749 p. maps, diagrs., facsim. 22 cm.
- Subjects: World War, 1939-1945. World War, 1939-1945 --Great Britain.
- Series: His The Second World War, 5
- LC Classification: D743 .C47 vol. 5
- Dewey Class No.: 940.53
- Geographic Area Code: e-uk---