Bloody Ridge and Beyond: A World War II Marine's Memoir of Edson's Raiders in the Pacific
Front Cover: Bloody Ridge and Beyond: A World War II Marine's Memoir of Edson's Raiders in the Pacific by Marlin "Whitey" Groft and Larry Alexander, New York: Berkley Caliber, 2014. GGA Image ID # 1662dddb46
From the Cover Flap
On thè killing ground that was the island of Guadalcanal, a 2,000-yard-long ridge rose from the jungle canopy. Behind it lay the all-important air base of Henderson Field. Änd if Henderson Field fell, it would mean the almost certain death, or capture of all 12,500 marines on the island...
But the marines positioned on the ridge were no normal fighters. They were the tough, hard-fighting men of Edson’s Raiders; an elite fighting unit within an already elite U.S, Marine Corps. Handpicked for their toughness, and submitted to a rigorous training program to weed out those less fit, they were the Marine Corps’s best of the best.
For two hellish nights in September 1942, about 840 United States Marines—commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Merritt Austin ‘‘Red Mike" Edson—fought one of the most pivotal battles of World War II in the Pacific, clinging desperately to their position on what would soon be known as Bloody Ridge.
Wave after wave of attacking Japanese soldiers were repelled by the Raiders, who knew that defeat and retreat were simply not possible options. But in the end, the defenders had prevailed against the odds.
Bloody Ridge and Beyond is the story of the 1 st Marine Raider Battalion, which showed courage and valor in the face of overwhelming numbers, as told by Marlin Groft. a man who was a member of this incredible fighting force.
About the Authors
Marliif F. Groft was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, worked for the Civilian Conservation Corps from 1939 to 1941; and then became a silk-screen printer in a textile factory. He joined the U.S. Marines after Pearl Harbor and, following boot camp, volunteered for the 1st Marine Raider Battalion under Lt. Col. Merritt A. Edson, and served with that unit until its dissolution. Assigned to the 29th Marine Regiment of the newly formed 6th Marine Division, he served beyond the end of the war, seeing duty in China until the end of 1945. Groft and his wife, Vivian, live in ja Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, retirement community.
Larry Alexander is the author of the New York Times bestselling biography Biggest Brother: The Life of Major Dick Winters, the Man Who Led the Band of Brothers and the coauthor (with Adam Makos) of A Higher Call: An Incredible True Story of Combat and Chivalry in the War-Torn Skies of World War II, another New York Times bestseller. He is also the author of Shadows in the Jungle: The Alamo Scouts Behind Japanese Lines in World War //and In the Footsteps of the Band of Brothers: A Return to Easy Company's Battlefields with Sgt. Forrest Guth. Alexander has been a journalist and columnist for Lancaster newspapers in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, for nearly twenty years and has won numerous state-level awards for excellence in journalism.
- Jacket design by George Long
- Front Jacket Photos Courtesy of the U S. Marine Corps
- Back Jacket Photograph from Shutterstock
- Author Photos Courtesy of Lancaster Newspaper. Inc., Lancaster. PA
- From "Skinhead" to Raider
- Training and Deployment
- The Blood Oath
- The Perfect Raid
- "This is where they'll hit"
- "They'll be back"
- "I'll shoot any man who heads for the rear"
- "This place is lousy with Nips"
- Back to the Matanikau
- Rest and Refit
- The Dragons Peninsula
- "You are covering our withdrawal"
- "I hear the rumble of heavy guns"
- "For we're the last of the Raiders"
- Epilogue: Bloody Ridge : August 2002
Back Cover: Bloody Ridge and Beyond: A World War II Marine's Memoir of Edson's Raiders in the Pacific by Marlin "Whitey" Groft and Larry Alexander. GGA Image ID # 166309c18a
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- Personal name: Groft, Marlin.
- Main title: Bloody Ridge and beyond : a World War II marine's memoir of Edson's Raiders in the Pacific / Marlin "Whitey" Groft and Larry Alexander.
- Edition: First edition.
- Published/Produced: New York : Berkley Caliber, 2014.
- Description: xvi, 348 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
- ISBN: 9780425273005 (hardback)
- LC classification: D767.98 .G76 2014
- Related names: Alexander, Larry, 1951-
- LC Subjects: Groft, Marlin. United States. Marine Corps. Marine Raider Battalion, 1st--History. Guadalcanal, Battle of, Solomon Islands, 1942-1943. World War, 1939-1945--Campaigns--Solomon Islands. World War, 1939-1945--Regimental histories--United States. World War, 1939-1945--Personal narratives, American. Marines--United States--Biography.
- Other Subjects: History / Military / World War II. History / Military / General.
- Notes: Includes bibliographical references and index.
- LCCN: 2014023414
- Dewey class no.: 940.54/265933
- Geographic area code: pobp--- n-us---
- Other class no.: HIS027100 HIS027000
- Type of material: Book
- Content type: text
- Media type: unmediated
- Carrier type: volume