Bir Hakim: Desert Citadel - World War II Battle Book, No. 23
Front Cover, Bir Hakim: Desert Citadel, Ballantine’s Illustrated History of the Violent Century, World War II Battle Book, No. 23, 02405-2. GGA Image ID # 17ed625848 Note: Spelling of Title is a Variant of Bir Hacheim.
From the Back Cover
Back Cover, Bir Hakim: Desert Citadel - Ballantine’s Illustrated History of the Violent Century. 1971. GGA Image ID # 1661e8f6e8
Although De Gaulle had raised the standard of fighting France in June 1940, he had fought few French ground forces to rally to his flag. The first major units to come in were those from French West Africa who made their way across the desert to join the Eight Army in Egypt.
Upon their shoulders rested the whole military reputation of Free France and at Bir Hakim they offered themselves up to the superior skill of Rommel's Afrika Korps.
- The Fall of France
- Free France
- The Desert War
- The Gazala Line
- Bir Hacheim
- Rommel Strikes East
- Towards Liberation
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- Personal name: Holmes, Richard, 1946-2011.
- Main title: Bir Hacheim: desert citadel [by] Richard Holmes.
- Published/Created: [New York, Ballantine Books, 1971]
- Description: 158,  p. illus. 21 cm.
- ISBN: 0345024052
- LC classification: D766.93 .H63
- Related titles: Bir Hakim.
- LC Subjects: Bir Hakeim, Battle of, Libya, 1942.
- Notes: Cover title: Bir Hakim. Bibliography: p. 
- Series: Ballantine's illustrated history of the violent century. Battle book no. 23
- LCCN: 72179535
- Dewey class no.: 940.54/23
- Geographic area code: f-ly---
- Type of material: Book