Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor - 2007
Front Cover, Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor, 2007. GGA Image ID # 18d4677bd9
Signed & Numbered Limited Edition, Copy No. 7 of 500 (Softcover) Dated 29th of March 2007. Note from Author: To Paul -- Best wishes to you and the Gjenvick-Gjømvik Archives!
Prepare to take a journey back in time... step aboard the decks of one of the world's largest, fastest, and most beloved ocean liners, and experience the LUSITANIA in all her splendor.
- Signed & Numbered Limited Edition Insert on Title Page
- Bookmark (Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor)
- Survivor's Note by Barbara McDermott
- Introduction by Mike Poirier & Jim Kalafus
- A Matter of Honor
- The Birth of the Lusitania
- Lusitania - A Closer Look at the Ship of Splendor
- A Distinguished Career: September, 1907 - July, 1914
- The Last Days: Crossings 184-202
- The End of the Road
- Appendix 1: Voyages & Crossings of the Lusitania
- Appendix 2: Masters of the Lusitania
- Appendix 3: First Class Passenger List, Crossing 1 - September 7 - 13, 1907
- Appendix 4: Crew list, Crossing 202, May 1-7, 1915
- Appendix 5: Passenger list, Crossing 202, May 1-7, 1915
- Appendix 6: Annual Service Log, Lusitania
- Photographic Credits
- Recommended Reading
Back Cover, Lusitania: An Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor, 2007. GGA Image ID # 18d4a2412b
From the Back Cover
It has been a century since the Lusitania made her maiden voyage across the North Atlantic. For seven-and-a-half years, she crossed that rugged ocean with punctuality and dependability.
She fast became a living legend, the ship of choice for many of the trans-Atlantic travelers. Since her sinking on May 7, 1915, her remarkable career and technological marvels have largely been neglected.
Instead, the focus has shifted to her political importance and numerous conspiracy theories about her last voyage and sinking.
This illustrated biography of the Lusitania discusses her entire story, from her conception and birth to her career and, finally, to her tragic demise; it reveals her as she has never been seen before.
Prepare to take a journey back in time... step aboard the decks of one of the world’s largest, fastest, and most beloved ocean liners, and relive her history in all its splendor.
About the Author
J. Kent Layton has studied the history of the Atlantic liners for two decades. He is an active member of the Titanic Research & Modeling Association, and lives in the Finger Lakes region of Central New York. He divides his time between his writing and his work as a piano tuner. His first book, Atlantic Liners: A Trio of Trios, was released in 2005.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
Note: This listing is for the Second Edition. Alternate information that applies to the First Edition are indicated by the notation "(2007)"
- Personal name: Layton, J. Kent, author.
- Main title: Lusitania : an illustrated biography / J. Kent Layton.
- Main title (2007): Lusitania: an Illustrated Biography of the Ship of Splendor / J. Kent Layton With Introduction by Mike Poirier & Jim Kalafus
- Edition: Second edition.
- Edition (2007): First Edition (Signed & Numbered Limited Edition)
- Published/Produced: Stroud, Gloucestershire : Amberley, 2015.
- Published/Produced (2007): Lulu Press, Morrisville, NC (Self-Published)
- Description: 445 pages : illustrations, maps ; 31 cm.
- Description (2007): 299 pages : illustrations, maps
- ISBN: 9781445642628 (hbk.)
- ISBN (2007): 9781430319627 (paperback)
- LC classification: D592.L8 L39 2015
- LC classification (2007): D592.L8 L39 2007
- Contents: Centennial note / by J. Kent Layton -- Survivor's note / by Barbara McDermott -- Introduction / by Mike Poirer & Jim Kalafus -- A matter of honor -- The birth of the Lusitania -- Lusitania : a closer look -- A distinguished career -- The last days : Crossings 184-202 - August, 1914 - May, 1915 -- The end of the road -- Appendix 1. Voyages & crossings of the Lusitania -- Appendix 2. Masters of the Lusitania -- Appendix 3. First class passenger list : Crossing no. 1 -- Appendix 4. Crew list, Lusitania : Crossing 202 -- Appendix 5. Passenger list, Lusitania : crossing 202 -- Appendix 6. Annual service log, Lusitania.
- Contents (2007): See Contents Above
- LC Subjects: Lusitania (Steamship). Lusitania (Steamship)--Passenger lists. World War, 1914-1918--Naval operations, German. World War, 1914-1918--Naval operations--Submarine. Shipwrecks--History--20th century. World War, 1914-1918--Great Britain.
- Notes: Originally published: 2010. Includes bibliographical references (page 432).
- Notes (2007): Self-Published in March 2007 (POD). Includes author's note to purchaser. bibliographical references
- LCCN: 2017301005
- LCCN (2007): N/A
- Dewey class no.: 940.4/514
- Geographic area code: e-gx--- e-uk---
- Type of material: Book
- Content type: text
- Media type: unmediated
- Carrier type: volume