September 1918 The Great Lakes Recruit Magazine
Volume 4, Number 9, September 1918
Published monthly by the Great Lakes Athletic Association, devoted to the interests of the United States Naval Training Station at Great Lakes, Illinois.
THE GREAT LAKES RECRUIT: FOR THE GOOD OF THE SHIP
Cover Design BY M. E. HARRIS
- Frontispiece "Great Lakes" (Illustration)
- The Secret of the Great Lakes Bluejackets' Health, BY C. R. KETRIDGE
- "America" (Illustration)
- "Vive La France" (Illustration)
- "Victory" (Illustration)
- "Liberty" (Illustration)
- Bluejackets' Stage War Pageant, BY H. FRANK REUTLINGER.
- Captain William A. Moffett, Commandant, with Yale Graduates (Illustration)
- No Poultices for Potsdam, BY S. J. DUNCAN-CLARK, Chicago Evening Post
- Great Lakes Fleet Receives Orders from Signal Bridges (Illustration)
- Most "Cussed" and Discussed Department at Great Lakes
- The Great Lakes Service Flag (Illustration)
- Rookie Drill in Detention (Illustration)
- The Battle in This Country, BY WILLIAM MATHER LEWIS, National Committee of Patriotic Societies
- New Home Comforts for Great Lakes Men.
- Captain William A. Moffett Presents Colors to Twelfth Regiment (Illustration)
- Cartoon, BY BRIGGS.
- As the Regiments Pass in Review (Illustration)
- For a Better Appreciation of the Navy, BY HERBERT BRANDE, Editorial Writer, Chicago Tribune
- A Few Crowd Pictures Snapped on a Pageant Day (Illustration)
- Cartoon, BY PERCE PEARCE
- The Singing Squares (Illustration)
- Great Lakes is a Wonderful Place, BY WILLIAM A. CURLEY, Managing Editor, Chicago Evening American
- Bluejackets' Class -Rooms
- Hospitality of Chicagoans and Folks Near By Aid Bluejackets in Having
Good Clean Sport
- Service Flag Event (Illustration)
- The Horrible Detail, BY HARRY SMITH, News Editor, Chicago Daily News
- Armed Guard Medicine is Cure for U-Boats
- Cartoon, BY C. W. ANDERSON
- Horatius had Nothing on Bluejackets
- Russian Dancers Delighted the Recruits of Great Lakes (Illustration)
- Aggressiveness Wins Big Series
- Cartoon, BY SIDNEY SMITH
- Keeping "Fit" Important Business in Navy (Illustration)
- Caricatures, BY C. W. ANDERSON
- Old Methods and New
- Bull-Neck Ryan
- SUPERVISING OFFICER : JOHN B. KAUFMAN, Surgeon, U. S. N.
- EDITOR : FRANCIS BUZZELL, Chief Yeoman, U. S. N. R. F.
- ADVERTISING MANAGER : W. B. MORGAN, Yeoman IC., U. S. N. R. F.
- F. O. BOHEN, A. S., U. S. N.
- SAMUEL SALZMAN, Yeoman 2C., U. S. N. R. F.
- NORMAN J. LOTT, Yeoman 3C., U. S. N. R. F.
- AUDITOR : BENJAMIN HAMMER, Yeoman 1C., U.S. N. R. F.
- Staff Photographer : J. W. LEWIS, Sea 2C., N. N. V.
- ASSOCIATE EDITORS
- R. J. TRAIN, Chief Yeoman, U. S. N. R. F.
- C. R. KETRIDGE, Yeoman 2C., N. N. V.
- E. G. GANTNER, Yeoman 3C., U. S. N. R. F.
- H. L. COOPER, Yeoman 3C., U. S. N. R. F.
- ART EDITOR : M. E. HARRIS, Chief Yeoman, N. N. V.
- ARTIST : H. C. FRENCH, Yeoman 3C., U. S. N. R. F.
- STAFF CARTOONISTS
- PERCE PEARCE, Chief Yeoman, U. S. N. R. F.
- C. W. ANDERSON, Yeoman 3C U S N R F
- CIRCULATION MANAGER : R. F. ZIEGLER, Yeoman 2C., U. S. N.
- GEORGE .McG/vERN, L. E. R., U. S. N. R. F.
- WILLIAM O'LOUGHLIN F 3C., U. S. N.
- S. P. BLOOM, L. E. R., U. S. N. R. F. H. M.
- LOTEMAN, Stk. 3C., U. S. N. R. F.
- L. C. GLASS, Sea 2C., U. S. N. R. F.
- FRED. D. MCCORKLE, Sea 2C., U. S. N. R. F.
Published monthly by the Great Lakes Athletic Association, devoted to the interests of the United States Naval Training Station at Great Lakes, Illinois. Entered as second-class matter May 6, 1918, at Postoffice, Chicago, Illinois, under Act of March 3, 1879.
Acceptance for special rate of postage provided for in Section 1103, Act of October 3, 1917, authorized on June 29, 1918. Business Offices-207 W. Washington St., Chicago, Illinois, and United States Naval Training Station, Great Lakes. Illinois.
Editorial Office—Great Lakes, Illinois.
Subscription $1.50 the Year