Beets - Defined, Dishes and Recipes
Beets—Are of three colors and kinds red, white and yellow; the white is mostly used in producing beet sugar, the red for culinary purposes, and the yellow for feeding cattle.
Best for table are the blood beets; sugar beets, nearly white inside, are as good for serving in sauce hot, not so good for ornamental purposes. Favorite ways of using them:
- Beets in Butter— Young garden beets boiled quite tender in their skins, peeled, sliced; salt and plain butter.
- Beets in Sauce—Butter sauce with vinegar in it; little sugar and salt.
- Beets in Vinegar—Cold blood-beets sliced and covered with vinegar; called also pickled beets. Will keep a week if cool.
- Betteraves à la Crème—Cut up in dice in a white sauce.
- Betteraves à la Poitevine—Cut in slices like sections of an orange; after boiling, served in brown sauce with onions and spices.
- Betteraves à la Chartreuse—Yellow beets sliced after boiling, a slice of onion between two slices of beets; dipped in batter and fried.
- Beet Soup (Seebarszez.)
- Beets in Salads (See salads.)
- Beets are largely used for decorating dishes.
Beet Greens—The leaves of the young beets are washed, put to boil in boiling salted water, containing a small piece of common washing soda: when done, they are strained, pressed, cut up fine, seasoned with salt, pepper and butter; served as a vegetable, or after being pressed they may be rubbed through a fine sieve, and the purée thus obtained, seasoned and served the same as spinach.
Pickled Beets —The small smooth beets washed and boiled till tender, skinned, cut in thin slices, placed in a crock, seasoned with salt, pepper, sugar, bay leaves, and covered with vinegar.
Boiled Beets in Butter Sauce—Small new beets washed and boiled till done, skinned, cut in sections like those of an orange, placed into the serving crock, and a sauce composed of water, butter, salt, white pepper and vinegar, thickened with flour poured over them.
Beet and Potato Salad—Small balls of cooked beets placed in tarragon vinegar; small balls of boiled potatoes placed in Ravigote sauce; served by arranging them alternately on the dish.
Beet and Egg Salad—Slices of pickled beetroot and hard boiled eggs, arranged alternately around a dish, with some pickled white onions in the centre; served with cream salad dressing.