SS Transylvania II of the Anchor Line - 1925
TRANSYLVANIA (II) - 1925
- Built: 1925 Fairfield S.B. & E. Co, Govan
- Tonnage: 16,923 Gross
- Dimensions: 176.33 Meters (Overall); 168.34 Meters x 21.43 Meters x 17.43 Meters
- Propulsion / Engine: Twin-Screw Turbine
- Passenger Capacity: 279 First, 344 Second, 800 Third. (1,423 Total)
The Transylvania (II) was put into service in 1925 passenger ship in the British shipping company Anchor Line, which was used as a passenger and mail steamer on the North Atlantic route from the UK to the USA.
From October 1939, she served with the tactical flag F-56 as an armed merchant cruiser (Armed Merchant Cruiser) until it was sunk on 10 August 1940, the north coast of Ireland by a German submarine. It is one of the 15 largest in World War II sunk by German submarines ships.
The ship SS Translyvania II (1925)
The Transylvania in 1919 placed at the shipyard Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company in Govan in Glasgow on Kiel. However, it was only on 11 March 1925 as 16,923 GRT large steam ship from the stack.
This Transylvania was the successor to the 1914 in service the same ship that had been sunk in World War I by a German submarine. The Transylvania had a sister ship, the Caledonia (IV) (17 046 GRT).
The 174.74 m long and 21.43 meters wide Transylvania had two poles, three chimneys, and was powered by steam turbines, which worked on two propellers and allowed a cruising speed of 16 knots. There were 279 first-class passengers, 344 second class passengers and 800 passengers of the third class are transported.
On September 12, 1925, the Transylvania ran out on her maiden voyage on the route Glasgow-Moville-New York. On November 22, 1928, she held a 15 hours by the breakdown of the German freighter Herrenwijk and let lifeboat and liferaft to water.
Use the Estonia of the East Asiatic Company were rescued from the Herrenwijk 13 men, but 13 more were drowned. On March 28, 1929, Transylvania was at La Coeque Rocks ten miles west of Cherbourg, in the fog due. In Cherbourg she let her passengers disembark and then took off for Clyde, where the repairs were made. In June 1929, the steamer was operational again.
In October 1930, converted to first class, tourist class and third class, followed in March 1936 by the change in cabin class, tourist class and third class. In the 1930s, the Transylvania was mainly used for cruises, such as in the summer of 1935 to Bermuda From 1937 to 1939 the West Indies. On 18 August 1939, the Transylvania gained its last trip on the route from Glasgow-Moville-New York.
Photograph 1: The New Anchor Liner Transylvania
Length: 578.5 Feet; Tonnage: 16,700
Photograph 8: Transylvania Dining Saloon
Photograph 9: Foyer of the Transylvania
Photograph 10: Smoking Room in the Transylvania
Photograph 11: Garden Lounge of the Transylvania
Photograph 12: The Transylvania Main Lounge
Photograph 13: The Gymnasium in the Transylvania
Photograph 14: The Transylvania Second Class Smoking Room
Photograph 20: A Typical Transylvania Stateroom for Two