Leviathan: "The World's Greatest Ship" Volume 4
USL: "LEVIATHAN: The World's Greatest Ship, Volume 4", by Frank Braynard, published in 1978, hardbound with original dust jacket, 436 pages.
Braynard has created what is probably the most extensive history ever written about a single ship. His ground-breaking series covers 6 volumes.
This book is volume 4 and picks up the LEVIATHAN saga in 1926 during the height of the ship's popularity and ends with the stock market crash in 1929. The ship's fortunes fell quickly after that. There are hundreds of great photos, including a section of color ones, which makes for wonderful browsing and reading.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- Personal name: Braynard, Frank O. (Frank Osborn), 1916-2007.
- Main title: "World's greatest ship"; the story of the Leviathan, by Frank O. Braynard.
- Published/Created: [New York, South Street Seaport Museum, 1972-1983]
- Description: 6 v. illus. (some col.) 29 cm.
- LC classification: VM383.L3 B7
- Related titles: Leviathan.
- LC Subjects: Leviathan (Steamship)
- Browse by shelf order: VM383.L3
- On cover: Leviathan.
- Vol. 4 has imprint: Newport News, Va. : Mariners Museum, 
- Vol. 5 has imprint: [Sea Cliff, N.Y.] : F.O. Braynard, 
- Vol. 6 has imprint: [Kings Point, N.Y. : American Merchant Marine Museum, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, 1983]
- Some ill. on lining papers.
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- LCCN: 72085207
- Dewey class no.: 387.2/43
- Type of material: Book