The Immigrant Tide: Its Ebb and Flow
Steiner, Edward A., The Immigrant Tide: Its Ebb and Flow, Fleming H. Revell Company: New York (1909). Hardcover, 370 pages.
Synopsis by Author
In the first part of my book, I have tried to show the influences of the returned immigrant upon his peasant home and his social and national life. In the second part, I interpret the relation of various races to our institutions, their attitude towards them and their influence upon them.
PART I: WITH THE OUTGOING TIDE
- “ THEY THAT GO OUT IN SHIPS ”
- THE PRICE THEY PAY
- A MURDERER, MARY AND AN HONORARY DEGREE
- REFLEX INFLUENCES
- OUR CRITICS
- THE DOCTOR OF THE KOPANICZE
- “ MOSCHELE AMERIKANSKY ” .
- “ NOCH 1ST POLEN NlCHT VERLOREN
- THE DISCIPLES IN THE CARPATHIANS
- THE GUSLAR OF RAGUSA
- WHERE THE ANGEL DROPPED THE STONES
- “THE HOLE FROM WHICH YE WERE DIGGED ”
PART II WITH THE INCOMING TIDE
- PROBLEMS OF THE TIDE
- THE SLAV IN THE IMMIGRANT PROBLEM
- THE SLAV IN HISTORIC CHRISTIANITY
- FROM EPHRATA TO WHISKEY HILL
- FROM THE LOVCZIN TO GUINEA HILL
- THE JEW AND THE CHRISTIAN
- THE JEW IN THE IMMIGRANT PROBLEM
- FROM FIFTH AVENUE TO THE GHETTO
- FROM LAKE SKUTARI TO LAKE CHAUTAUQUA
- THE PROTESTANT CHURCH AND THE IMMIGRANT
- TWENTY-FIVE YEARS WITH THE NEW IMMIGRANT
- FROM CHAOS TO COSMOS
- APPENDIX I (Classification of the New Im-migrant Groups)
- APPENDIX II (Net Immigration to the United States 1899-1908) .
- APPENDIX III (Industrial Depression and Immigration) .
- APPENDIX IV (Suggested Changes in Im-migration Laws)
- A CZAR IN Embryo
- Dirty Mary During the Period OF Transition
- A CONTRAST IN HOMES
- THE MARKET SQUARE IN CRACOW
- AT THE FOOT OF THE TATRA MOUNTAINS
- Coast OF Dalmatia
- WHERE THE ANGEL DROPPED THE STONES AND NOW DROPS DOLLARS
- Two Types OF Poles
- THE SLAVIC HOME IN HUNGARY
- THE SLAVIC HOME ON WHISKEY HILL
- A JEW OF THE POORER TYPE
- A Jew OF THE Finer Type
- Faculty and American Students at Missions-Haus, Kattowitz
- Slavic Women
- GENERAL AND MRS. RICIOTTO GARIBALDI AT THE FOOT OF HIS FATHER’S MONUMENT IN ROME
Triest. Austria's commercial harbor; prosperous, whether the immigrant tide ebbs or flows.
Ruthenians. The most backward and oppressed of the Slavic people, whose destiny is worked out in America.
Left: The one who staid at Home. The horizon of her life is indicated by her impassive features
Right: The one who Emigrated. "The fiber, the tissue, that mysterious fluid which we call life or sould -- the very nerve cells, change."
Two Types of Poles
Left: Gorales. The most primitive and semi-civilized type.
Right: Cracowian. From the vicinity of Cracow. As good as the German peasant, at his best.