On The Trail Of The Immigrant (1906)
On the Trail of the Immigrant by Edward A. Steiner. Professor in Iowa College, Griswell, Iowa. Published 1906 by Fleming H. Revell Company, New York. 375 pages plus 22 illustrations. Hard Cover, No Dust Jacket.
About the Book
With tickets fastened to their coats and dresses, the immigrants pass through the gate to enter into their new inheritance, and become our felllow citizens.
During the quarter century following 1890, 18 million immigrants arrived in the United States. Prior to the Civil War, most immigrants came from northern and western Europe, particularly from England, Germany, Ireland, and Scandinavia.
After 1890, most newcomers were from southern and eastern Europe, especially Austria-Hungary, Italy, and Russia. By 1900, New York City had more Italians than any city in Italy except Rome, more Poles than any city in Poland except Warsaw, as many Irish as Dublin, and more Jews than any other city in the world.
Table of Contents
- I. By Way of Introduction
- II. The Beginning of the Trail
- III. The Fellowship of the Steerage
- IV. Land, Ho
- V. At the Gateway
- VI. The Man at the Gate
- VII. The German in America
- VIII. The Scandinavian Immigrant
- IX. The Jews in His Old World Home
- X. The New Exodus
- XI. In the Ghettos of New York
- XII. The Slavs at Home
- XIII. The Slavic Invasion
- XIV. Driving with the "Hunkies"
- XV. The Bohemian Immigrant
- XVI. Little Hungary
- XVII. The Italian at Home
- XVIII. The Italian in America
- XIX. When Greece Meets Greek
- XX. The New American and the New Problem
- XXI. The New American and Old Problems
- XXII. Immigrants and Politics
- XXIII. Birds of Passage
- XXIV. In the Second Cabin
- XXV. Au Revoir
In an Evening School, New York. American, Armenian, Austrian, Bohemian, Cuban, Dane, Dutch, Finlander, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Mexican, Negro, Norwegian, Pole, Romanian, Russian, Scotch, Slovak, Spanish, Swede, Swiss, Can you tell them apart?
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 06039003
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Steiner, Edward Alfred, 1866-1956.
- Main Title: On the trail of the immigrant [by] Edward A. Steiner.
- Published/Created: New York, Revell 
- Description: 375 p. illus. 22 cm.
- Notes: Partly republished from the Outlook.
- Subjects: Aliens --United States. United States --Emigration and immigration. United States --Social conditions --1865-1918.
- LC Classification: JV6455 .S9
- Other System No.: (OCoLC)562497
- Quality Code: premarc