WPA Brochure from 1936 - "Our Job with the WPA" - Working for Uncle Sam
Uncle Sam sets up the WPA as the answerFor more than 9 months we have been working on WPA projects Wealth we are adding to country : . 4,000 DROUGHT, FLOOD, AND OTHER CONSERVATION WORKS . 130,000 MILES OF FARM-TO-MARKET ROADS . 550 AIRPORTS BUILT OR IMPROVED . 6,201 SCHOOLS BUILT OR IM-PROVED . 2,500 WATER SYSTEMS IMPROVED 5,000 SEWER SYSTEMS EXTENDED . 5,700 PARKS AND PLAYGROUNDS EDUCATION FOR MILLIONS . 5,000 OTHER PUBLIC BUILDINGS . BETTER PUBLIC HEALTH . MILLIONS OF GARMENTS FOR THE NEEDY AND OTHER PUBLIC SERVICES
The good we are doingAsk any of the hundreds of mayors and county executives, of all political faiths, who have written their praise of the improvements WPA has made in their own communities.
OUR WORKING AND SPENDING KEEP MANY BUSINESSES ALIVEWhere the WPA Dollar Goes Food - Canning Factories - Farms - Wholesalers - Fisheries Clothing - Manufactures - Textile Mills - Farms Shelter - Building Repairs - Mines - Factories - Forests Work is the American Way
Links to Sections from the WPA Brochure from 1936 - "Our Job with the WPA"
- Letter by Harry L. Hopkins
- Workers' Handbook - WPA; What Are WPA Jobs?
- How Long Will The Jobs Last?; Questions Workers Most Often Ask - Pay; Things You Can Be Docked For
- Working Time; Dismissals; Complaints
- Accidents and Compensation; Safety; Unions
- General Questions: Private Jobs; Work Card; Getting A Job Near Home; Carfare; Your Opinion of the Job You Do; Conclusion
- We Have a WPA Job; Why can't we get private jobs?; What happens to us when we are on the dole; Work Keeps Us From Going Nuts
- Uncle Sam set up the WPA as the answer; The good we are doing; Our Working and Spending Keep Many Businesses Alive