Hamburg-American Line Archives of Historical Documents, Passenger Lists, etc.
Hamburg Amerika Linie / Hamburg American Line / Hamburg Amerikanische Packetfahrt Actien Gesellschaft (HAPAG)
Hamburg-American Line was one of the major steamship companies to handle the immigrant trade. Their primary routes of Hamburg, Germany to New York via Southampton were supplemented by other vessels that called on the ports of Portland ME, Baltimore, Boston, Philadelphia, Galveston and New Orleans, in addition to Canadian ports.
Their early passenger lists featured some of the most intricate and beautiful graphic designs, especially prior to World War One. They are a favorite among collectors who value these passenger lists from the Hamburg American Line for their artwork, instead of their historical value. This unfortunately, makes the pre-1918 passenger lists quite scarce for this steamship line.
Hamburg-American Line or Hamburg-America Line. We are often asked this question - officially, the English branding of this steamship line, based on their published materials was The Hamburg-American Line. A simple translation from German to English of "Hamburg Amerika Linie" is "Hamburg America Line". Hamburg America Line, while correctly translating the German to English is not correct in referring to steamship line as they intended. Many get this incorrect including wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamburg_America_Line); Norway Heritage (www.norwayheritage.com/p_shiplist.asp?co=haaml); and a lenghtly list of others. The GG Archives gets it right because we have a large collection of original steamship ephemera and we are able to research the correct response to this and other questions.
Special Collections of the Hamburg-American Line
Steamship Tickets / Passenger Contracts
- 1904-07-06 Steamship Ticket - German Immigrants - Breitmann Family from Hamburg to New York in Steerage.
- 1927-09-16 Steamship Ticket - Third Class Passenger - Hamburg to New York
- 1890s Decks Plans - S.S. Fürst Bismarck - Cabin Class plans includes Promenade, Lower and Main Decks with detailed listings by location (aft, midship, forward) on each deck
- 1908 Book of Photographs - Hamburg-Amerika Linie: Nordland-Fahrten - Inscribed by owner and dated August 2nd to 13th 1908 Norway. Numerous Large (22 x 16.5 cm) photographs of the steamships of the Hamburg-America Line in and around Norwegian ports and fjords. Also includes photographs of the the docs filled with immigrants, tourists and townsfolk alike. Photographs of the Steamships and Interior views are also included in this Incredible record of turn of the century migration from Norway. Approximately 156 photographs in all.
- 1912 Baggage Regulations and Map of Port of Hamburg - Outward Bound from Hamburg
- 1912-04-24 Immigrant Inspection Card - Immigrants and Steerage Passengers - Austrian Immigrant
- 1927-10-15 Permissions Card - S.S. New York (Erlaubnisschein) - provides person to enter separate space in Cuxhaven handling of the steamer at New York
- 1907 New Giant Steamers - The S.S. Amerika and the S.S. Kaiserin Auguste Victoria provided many advantages clearly described in this article that incudes ship statistics and travel time.
- 1907 Pleasure Cruises - The Hamburg-American Line is able to offer a pleasure-cruise program for 1907 which in variety, surpasses the most successful undertakings of previous years.
- 1910-05 Steamship Captain Biography - Captain Schülke of the Hamburg-Amerika Linie - S.S. Cincinnati (Biographical Sketch)
- 1911 History of the Hamburg American Line Through 1910
Vintage Magazines (Published by Hamburg-American Line)
Ship Histories and Specification
- History of the Steamship Cincinnati (1909)
- History of the Steamship Cleveland (1909)
- History of the Steamship Columbia (1889)
Other Documents in the Archives In the Queue For Uploading
- 1901 Photograph: Harbor of New York (Scene) including the S.S. Deutschland steaming away from the harbor.
- 1910s (Undated) Large Poster Hamburg-Amerika Linie, Hamburg-New York Doppelschrauben-Schnelldampfer. Oceanfahrt 6 Tage. Nähere Auskunft ertheilt: die Hamburg-Amerika-Linie, Abtheilung Personenverkehr, Hamburg, Dovensieth 18-21.
- 1930s - Third Class Deck Plan, S.S. Hamburg (Large Size) Covered Decks B through E and included photographs of Third Class Accommodations: Stateroom, collage of Smoking Room, Dining Room and Veranda Café and Large Photograph of S.S. Hamburg.
- 1933-07-27 Program of Social Events, S.S. New York, Cover Thursday, July 27 through the following Thursday, August 3, 1933. In German and English.
- 1937-03 Bookmark - Steierische Volksweiss with Song Die Augerlin voll Wasser (My Hear is so Weary).
- 1937-03 Bookmark - Steierische Volksweiss with Song Du herzigsdjön's Dirndl (Your Glorious Maiden).
- 1938 Program: Our Movies Show Tonight: Theodora Wird Wild. Includes 5 photographs from the movie. Text in German and English.