Jenny's Cardamom Bread Recipe
Cardamom bread is a delicious sweet taasting cardamom-spiced bread made in a braided style in an oblong pan. Scandinavians often serve cardamom bread with coffee.
List of Ingrediants
- 2 Packages Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Warm Water with 2 Tsp Sugar (heat to 105 Degrees)
- 2 Cups Half And Half (Heat To Scald And Cool)
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 3 Eggs, Slightly Beaten
- 2 Heaping Tsps of Crushed Cardamom
- 1 Stick Butter (Melted And Cooled)
- 7 to 8 Cups Flour (Sifted)
- 1 Egg Beaten With 2 Tbs Milk mixed in
- Pearl Sugar Or Raw Sugar Crystals
- Proof the yeast by dissolving the yeast in the warm sugar water and let stand for 5 minutes until the yeast bubbles.
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast mixture, the cooled half-and-half, sugar, salt, cardamom, eggs and 4 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Add the melted butter.
- Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured board and cover and let stand for 15 minutes to let the dough relax.
- Knead the dough, adding small amounts of flour until the dough loses its “stickiness” and is smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover the bowl and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk. Punch dough down. Turn the dough out onto the board and divide into 3 or 4 parts. Divide each part into three portions. Roll each portion into a rope.
- Braid three ropes together to make a loaf. Pinch the ends together. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet and repeat with the remaining portions of dough.
- Let rise in a warm place (covering the loaves) until almost double in size.
- Brush the tops of the loaves with the egg/milk mixture and sprinkle with the pearl or raw sugar crystals.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and continue baking until lightly browned. Do not over bake.
- Cool and enjoy!
From the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives © Larry & Deann Gjenvick