The Immediate Neighborhood of Trondhjem - 1906
The neighborhood of Trondhjem presents a most attractive sight to the traveler. The whole valley of the Nid is surrounded by mighty hills which form a wide circle round the town. Pretty villas climb up the green slopes.
On a hill to the east of the town (72 meters above sea-level), stands the fort of Christianssten, built in the years 1681—84. After crossing the upper of the two eastern bridges connecting the opposite banks of the river Nid, We reach in 10 minutes a road which leads to the left to the bastion with the flagpole. This point commands a magnificent view. The town stretches out at our feet, and beyond it towards the north the deep blue fiord, whose high mountain shores loom in the distance. Chrstianssten is no longer used as a fort, but it still serves as fire lookout and salute battery.
A drive to Rotvold is most attractive. Through the suburb of Baklandet, passing the Engineering Works (Trondhjems mekaniske Værksted) and two Docks, we reach in half an hour the promontory of Ladebammeren. Here we are among the scenes of the life and struggles of the Earls of Lade. The most famous of these, Haakon Jan, repelled with energy the dangerous assault of the Joins-vikings and was for 30 years the ruler of Norway, and both his ancestors and his successors have made themselves conspicuous in Norway’s history. In the vicinity lies the farm of Ringve once owned by Tordenskjold’s father.
The view of the fiord from Ladehammeren is very pretty. After having passed Ringve we reach Rotvold Lunatic Asylum, a great handsome hospital for the insane, lying amid beautiful surroundings. Then the drive can be continued to Reitgjærdets Leper Hospital and back to town over the heights of Bkesevold (109 meters above sea level). Starting from the Cathedral, and walking down Munkegaden we have before us the rocky little isle of Munkbolmen. It lies about 2 kilometers from the town. Admittance free. In summer a motor boat runs at intervals. The lighthouse keeper is an interesting guide.
Shortly after the year 1100 a monastery was founded on the island. It belonged to the order of St. Benedictine and was most frequently called the monastery of St. Laurence in Holm. When the reformation came, the monastery fell into decay and the island lay waste until 1.658 when a redoubt was built between the ruins. Some time later a regular fortress Was built, the main part being the dungeon, the round tower, which was not quite completed as late as 1680. In this tower Count Griffenfeldt, once King Christian the Sth’s all-powerful minister was imprisoned 18 long years — from 1680 to 1698.
The island is surrounded by walls and grass-covered ramparts. On entering the gateway, we see before us the round tower, consisting of two parts, a tower divided into rooms by partitions, and a round wall which bore 9 cannons. This wall has since been partly demolished, and the remains covered with a vaulted roof. The interior of the tower was quite altered in 1840; the only remains left of Gniffenfeldt’s room is a portion of a window. From the ramparts there is a wide and beautiful view.
To the south the whole of Trondhjem may be seen covering the delta of the river Nid. Stenberget rises above it with its pretty villas and with Sverresborg. The naked Gjeitfjeld and the lovely gardens of Munkaunet can be clearly seen, as well as the Iron Foundry Trolla Brug. At the foot of Stenberget we can see lien, formerly separated from the town by fortifications. On the shores of the fiord lie great timber stores, and the harbor protected by a mole.
A walk up Stenberget is recommendable. The way is up a steep hill to the left of the music hall, Hjorten. From the top there is a glorious view of the town. Somewhere here the old road to Nidaros (Trondhjem used to run, and the pilgrims called the place Feginsbrekka (the hill of the glad). Having arrived at the spot where they could see the famous city of the saint at their feet, they hailed the joyful consummation of a laborious journey. Immediately above it lies Sverresborg, a flat-topped height, 209 meters above sea-level. King Sverre built a castle here in the 12th century.
Turning to the east we descend by Aasveien, a broad road with villas on both sides. Here We have a beautiful and most picturesque view of Trondhjem, of the winding course of the river, of the fiord and the fjelds in the distant background. The road leads us back to Llevolden at Hjorten.
The travelers should not fail to visit the plantation in the Ilbergene (Elster Park). The way runs past Hjorten and Mallehaugen, along the foot of the hills called Ilbergene, and then by a multitude of idyllic forest paths up the side of the hill This mountain side Was formerly a wild and desolate wilderness, but during the last few decades it has been planted with fir and pine.
This plantation, the second largest in Norway, is municipal property. The trees are growing well. Over two millions have been already planted. At a height of about 170 metres we meet with a shore line, or rather two lines, now nearly hidden by the growth of the trees, suggesting that the land has formerly lain much lower than now. From this point, as from a higher one (the top of the mountain Vottakammen) we have a superb view of town and fiord and their beautiful surroundings. In the distance we can see the snow-clad summits on the Swedish border. Refreshments can be had at a little pavilion called "Kilden".