Port of London - Historical Ports of Call of the Steamship Lines
The Port of London, most commonly used by the Atlantic Transport Line (direct from New York) offers an array of docks and services for passengers and freight.
Dry Docks of London (1909)
There are two in the Royal Albert Dock. (1) Length 501 feet, 85 feet wide at cope, 66 1-3 feet wide at entrance, 22 feet on sill at Trinity High Water. (2) Length 408~ feet, 77 feet wide at cope, 64~ feet wide at entrance, depth on sill 22 feet at Trinity High Water.
Port of London, East India Dock (1909)
The East India Dock is situated about half a mile from the West India Dock. There are two entrances and Vessels of 8,000 tons burden can dock in the basin. The area of the dock is 71 acres, 33 acres being water.
Port of London, London Dock (1909)
This system adjoins the St. Katharine Dock and occupies 100 acres, 40 of which are water. The storage capacity of sheds and warehouses is 174,000 tons, and there are wine, spirit, and oil storage vaults of 105,000 pipe capacity. The machinery includes 132 hydraulic and other cranes (one of 25 tons lifting power).
Port of London, Millwall Dock (1909)
This dock is situated on the Isle of Dogs, and has an area of 233 1/2 acres, 35 1/2 acres of which are covered with water. The entrance lock in Limehouse Reach is 450 feet long, 80 feet wide, and 28 feet deep at high water spring tides, and vessels up to 9,000 tons are accommodated.
Port of London, Royal Victoria and Albert Docks (1909)
The Royal Victoria and Albert Docks, extending from Blackwall to Galleons Reach (a distance of 3 miles), are the largest under control of the Port of London Authority. The docks are reached by train from Fenchurch Street Station in about 15 minutes, the stations for the Victoria Dock being Custom House and Tidal Basin, and, for the Royal Albert Dock, Galleons, Manor Way, Central and Connaught Road.
Port of London, St. Katharine Dock (1909)
This Dock adjoins the Tower of London and is within a few minutes walk of Fenchurch Street, Aldgate, and Mark Lane Stations. The northern railway companies have goods stations within a few yards of the Dock, and the Tower Bridge provides a short route to the goods
stations on the southern railways.
Port of London, Surrey Commercial Docks (1909)
These docks are situated on the south or Surrey side of the Thames (at Rotherhithe), about 1 1/2 miles from the Tower Bridge. The system covers an area of 451 acres, and includes the Surrey Canal, which extends from the Docks to Camberwell, is upwards of four miles in length, and has an area of 70 acres.
The Port and Docks of London (1909)
The Docks of London are so spread out along the Thames River for a distance of 26 miles from London Bridge that they impress one as being disconnected, unco-ordinated and poorly managed in comparison with those of Liverpool, Antwerp, Rotterdam and Hamburg. London has so long been the leading port of the world in respect to the amount of shipping and goods which enter, that only within the last decade has the keen rivalry and phenomenal growth of some of the younger continental ports impressed her with the great importance of keeping abreast of modem requirements by providing better facilities for navigation.
Port of London, Tilbury Dock (1909)
The Tilbury Dock, situate on the north side of the Thames, opposite Gravesend, is reached by the London, Tilbury & Southend Railway, in about 40 minutes from Fenchurch Street Station.
Port of London Town Warehouses (1909)
Cutler Street Warehouses are the largest of the group, and are situated near Houndsditch and Bishopsgate Street. They occupy 5.5 acres of ground, and are provided for the reception of the more valuable classes of goods.
Port of London, West India Docks (1909)
These docks are situated on the northern part of the Isle of Dogs, Poplar. They are 231 acres in extent, 105 acres being water. They consist of three parallel sets of docks, each about half a mile long, viz,- The West India Import Dock, the West India Export Dock, and the South West India Dock, with four adjoining basins. The Poplar Dock, at the eastern end of the property, is leased to the North London Railway Company, and is used for the discharge of coal and other goods for transport by railway.
Paddington Station - London, England (1913)
Many conveniences for passengers may be found at Paddington. An Inquiry Bureau is installed in the Main Booking Hall, at which any information can be obtained upon the subject of home travel. Luxurious hot and cold baths and hair-dressing saloon have been provided for gentlemen on No. 1 platform.