Port of London, West India Docks (1909)
These docks are situated on the northern part of the Isle of Dogs, Poplar. They are 231 acres in extent, 105 acres being water. They consist of three parallel sets of docks, each about half a mile long, viz,- The West India Import Dock, the West India Export Dock, and the South West India Dock, with four adjoining basins. The Poplar Dock, at the eastern end of the property, is leased to the North London Railway Company, and is used for the discharge of coal and other goods for transport by railway.
There are four entrance locks, two only being in use, viz.:
|Dock||Length ft||Width ft||Depth ft||Remarks|
|Blackwall||480||60||30||at High Water Spring Tides|
|South Dock||480||55||29||at High Water Spring Tides|
Vessels up to 7,000 tons can be received. The storage capacity of the warehouses is 195,000 tons, and that of the vaults 40,000 puncheons.
There is refrigerated accommodation for 114,000 carcasses of sheep.
There are four miles of quays for discharging.