Anchor-Donaldson Line Passenger Lists - GG Archives
Anchor-Donaldson Line Passenger Lists available at the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives that have been transcribed and uploaded.
|1925-05-08 Ships List for the Athenia|
|1930-08-22 Ships List for the Letitia|
On October 20, 1916, the Donaldson Line had absorbed the Anchor Line (Henderson Bros., Ltd), forming a new company to be known as the Anchor-Donaldson Line. Sir Alfred Booth, of the Cunard Line, was to be chairman of the new company. Financial details of the amalgamation were not announced. The agreement meant that the Cunard Company secured control of the Donaldson Line, for it already had a controlling interest in the Anchor Line.
The Donaldson Line operated service between Glasgow and Liverpool and the River Plate, touching the more important South American ports. At the beginning of the year, its fleet consisted of twenty-five vessels, of an aggregate tonnage of 89,992 tons and an average tonnage of 5,293.
The fleet of the Anchor Line, which had been largely under Cunard influence for several years past, included 15 vessels, with an aggregate tonnage of 114,222 tons and an average tonnage of 7,615. The Anchor Line operates services from New York to Glasgow, from New York to the Mediterranean, and from England to Egypt and India.
From 1916 until 1935 the Donaldson divided its stake in the Canadian trade with the Anchor Line through a subsidiary company (the Anchor-Donaldson Line) in which either partner held half the capital. Name changed in 1935 when connection with Anchor Line ceased.
Turbine steamer Athenia Anchor-Donaldson Line, Glasgow Builders: Fairfield, Glasgow Yard no: 596 13465 GRT; 164.0 x 20.2 m / 538 x 66.3 ft; Geared turbines, Brown-Curtis-Fairfield; Twin screw; 9000 SHP; 15, max 16 kn; Passengers: 516