The Bitter Years: The Invasion and Occupation of Denmark and Norway, April 1940 - May 1945
1974 The Bitter Years: The Invasion and Occupation of Denmark and Norway, April 1940 - May 1945, Richard Petrow, © 1974, Morrow Quill Paperbacks, New York, Soft cover, 403 Pages, 0-688-05275-4, 940.54'21.
From the Back Cover
This definitive and highly readable account of the German invasion and occupation of Denmark and Norway presents the first realistic appraisal of a previously neglected area of World War II history.
The Bitter Years shatters the myths and corrects the misconceptions as it details the dramatic chapters of Scandinavia's wartime experience:
- The sinking of the German cruiser Bluecher with the loss of more than 1,00 soldiers and crewmen;
- The Norweigian SOE, raid on the Norsk Hydro heavy-water plant so essential to Germany's development of the atom bomb;
- The imprisonment of all the Norweigian schoolmasters of the arctic;
- The destiny of all the Norweigian Jews and the miraculous rescue of the Danish Jews;
- The destruction of Finnmark by the Germans;
- The the remarkable evacuation of Scandinavian priosoners from German concentration camps by the Swedish White Buses; and, finally,
- The liberation of Denmark and Norway and the bitter resideue that remained.
Library of Congress Catalog Listing
- LC Control No.: 74009576
- Type of Material: Book (Print, Microform, Electronic, etc.)
- Personal Name: Petrow, Richard.
- Main Title: The bitter years; the invasion and occupation of Denmark and Norway, April 1940-May 1945.
- Published/Created: New York, Morrow, 1974.
- Description: viii, 403 p. illus. 24 cm.
- ISBN: 0688002757
- Notes: Bibliography: p. 380-387.
- World War, 1939-1945 --Campaigns --Denmark.
- World War, 1939-1945 --Campaigns --Norway.
- Denmark --History --German occupation, 1940-1945.
- Norway --History --German occupation, 1940-1945.
- LC Classification: D802.D4 P45
- Dewey Class No.: 940.54/21
- Geographic Area Code: e-dk--- e-no--- e-gx---