Winter 1982 The Hook : Journal of Carrier Aviation - Tailhook Association
VOLUME 10, NUMBER 4, WINTER 1982
®1982 all rights reserved
On The Cover
Two VT-26 student Naval Aviators prepare to come aboard USS Lexington (AVT-16) in T-2C Buckeys off Corpus Christi in July 1982. Photograph depict carrier qualifications in the training command. Photograph by Bob Lawson.
Table of Contents : Air Plan
- FROM THE CATWALK
- "A Navy Pilot in Vietnam, 1960"
CAPT Rosario Rausa, USNR
- "The Indispensable Man" — The LSO, part two
- "A Navy Pilot in Vietnam, 1960"
- AT MARSHAL
- "CNATRA" — Naval Air Training Command
- "Hittin' the Boat" — C.Q. aboard Lexington
Photo essay, Bob Lawson
- Command Changes
- "Going Gray — or, What Hath NavAir Wrought?"
Photo feature, tactical paint schemes
- "Miss Piggy's Affair With The Fleet" — US-3A
LT Skip Slater, VS-41
- MANNING THE SPARE
- IN REVIEW
- WAVEOFFS & BOLTERS
About the Publication
The Hook is published quarterly by The Tailhook Association, a non-profit corporation dedicated to foster, encourage, develop, study and support the aircraft carrier, sea-based aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing, and aircrew of the United States of America and to educate the public in the aircraft carrier's appropriate role in the Nation's defense system.
Views expressed in The Hook are those of the authors and do not necessarily represent the policies of The Tailhook Association or the United States Navy. Printed in U.S.A. Bulk-rate postage paid at Bonita, California. Copyright O 1982 by The Tailhook Association. All rights reserved.
Subscription for The Hook is included in the $15.00 annual membership in The Tailhook Association. Regular Membership is open to anyone who has made a carrier landing as a pilot or aircrewman. Associate Membership is open to anyone having the background and interest to support the goals of The Tailhook Association, as stated above. Ordinary subscriptions are also available.
THE TAILHOOK ASSOCIATION
P.O. Box 40
Bonita, CA 92002
- PRESIDENT : CAPT Thomas A. Stanley, USN
- SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT : D.S. Laird, CDR, USN (Ret)
- VICE PRfSIDENTS
- Industrial Affairs : Jack Christiansen, RADM USN (Ret)
- Washington Affairs : Robert H. Thompson
- Educational Activity : R.E. Gallatin, CAPT USN (Ret)
- Reserve Affairs : LCDR Gregory A. Cassady, USNR-TAR
- BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Jack O'Hara, RADM USN (Ret)
- F.A.W. Franke, Jr., CAPT USN (Ret)
- D.S. "Diz" Laird, CDR USN (Ret)
- CDR Rod Knutson, USN
- Robert A. Allwine, CDR USN (Ret)
- ADVISOR, NAVAL AVIATION MATTERS : James D. Ramage, RADM USN (Ret)
- EXECUTIVE SECRETARY : Ron Thomas
- GENERAL COUNSEL : R. E. Gallatin, CAPT USN (Ret)
The following corporations exhibit the support of Naval Aviation through their membership in the Tailhook Association.
- Beech Aircraft Corporation
- Beech Aerospace Services, Inc.
- Bendix Corporation Oceanics Division
- Boeing Vertol Company
- Computer Services Corporation
- Cubic Corporation
- Ford Aerospace & Communications Corporation
- General Dynamics/Convair Division
- General Dynamics/Pomona Division
- General Electric Company-Aircraft Engine Group
- Grumman Aerospace Corporation
- Harris Corporation-PRD Electronics Division
- Hughes Aircraft Company
- Litton Systems, Inc. Guidance & Control Systems Division
- Lockheed-California Company
- McDonnell Douglas Corporation
- Northrup Corporation
- Northrup Corporation, Ventura Division
- Pratt & Whitney Aircraft Group
- Raytheon Company
- Rockwell International
- Sanders Associates, Inc.
- Sikorsky Aircraft
- Teledyne Ryan Aeronautics
- Texas Instruments Corporation
- United Technologies-Norden Systems
- Vought Corporation