Camp Pike - World War 1 Cantonment - A.E.F. Training Center - Arkansas
Camp Pike, Arkansas was named in honor of Brigadier General Zebulon M. Pike, U.S. Army, discoverer of Pike's Peak; killed in action, 1818. Established July 18, 1917 to serve as training camp for 87th Division (National Army) , which occupied the cantonment August 1917 to June 1918. Construction started June 17, 1917 and continued through 1918.
Designated as infantry replacement and training camp, April 1918, as infantry training center, August 21, 1918, and as a demobilization center, December 3, 1918. Retained as permanent reservation. Known as Camp Joseph T. Robinson since 1937.
Index to Holdings of Camp Pike Documents at the Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives
- ca 1917 Booklet: Scenes of Camp Pike, National Army Cantonment, Little Rock, Arkansas. 19 photographs of Camp Pike during the WWI era in a scrapbook style format. In original outer envelope used to mail the souvenir booklet.
- 1917-1918 Camp Pike Trench and Camp (Newspaper), October 8 1917 (Volume 1, #1) to September 17, 1918 (Volume 1, #50). Positive Microfilm - Arkansas History Commission. 1 Roll.
- 1919 The 346th Infantry Historical Notes, 1917-1919. The history book of the 346th Infantry that trained at Camp Pike, Arkansas. Provides a complete roster of men in all companies including HQ. Many New Jersey service men were part of the 346th.