Browse The Gjenvick-Gjønvik Archives Home Page

Steamship Caledonia II - Anchor Line to Ireland & Scotland - 1926

Caledonia (II) 1925

  • Built: 1925 Fairfield S.B. & E. Co, Govan
  • Tonnage: 17.046 Gross
  • Dimensions: 176.33 Meters (Overall) ; 168.34 Meters x 21.43 Meters x 17.43 Meters
  • Propulsion / Engine: Twin-Screw Turbine
  • Passenger Capacity: 205 First, 861 Second, 796 Third. (1,862 Total)

The Caledonia (IV) was put into service in 1925 passenger ship in the British shipping company Anchor Line, which was used as a passenger and mail steamer on the North Atlantic route from the UK to the USA. From September 1939, she served under the name HMS Scotstoun as an armed merchant cruiser (Armed Merchant Cruiser) until it west of the Outer Hebrides was sunk by a German submarine on 13 June 1940. It is one of the 15 largest in World War II sunk by German submarines ships.

The ship Caledonia

The 17,046-ton steam ship Caledonia was laid in February 1920 the shipyard Alexander Stephen and Sons in Glasgow in Kiel, but was only on 22 April in 1925 by stack. These Caledonia was the successor to the 1905 in service of the same ship that had been sunk in World War I by a German submarine.

The Caledonia had a sister ship that was completed in the same year Transylvania (II) (16,923 GRT). The 168.6 meters long and 21.5 meters wide Caledonia had two poles, three chimneys, and was powered by steam turbines, which worked on two propellers and allowed a cruising speed of 16 knots. The ship was 205 first-class passengers, 403 second-class passengers and 796 passengers of the third class are transported.

On 3 October 1925, the Caledonia ran out on her maiden voyage on the route Glasgow-Moville-New York. In October 1930, the second class has been replaced by the economy class.

In March 1936, the cabin, the tourist and the third class were introduced. 1938 took place a greater modernization, during which the ship received new propellers. Top speed increased to 17 knots. The accommodation of the Third Class were also renewed. In June 1939, the Caldonia took off on its last transatlantic crossing from Glasgow via Moville to Boston and New York and back to Glasgow.

Main Stircase and Lift of the Caledonia

Photograph 2: Main Staircase and Lift of the Caledonia

The Italian Veranda Cafe of the Caledonia

Photograph 3: The Italian Veranda Cafe of the Caledonia

The Corridor Lounge of the Caledonia

Photograph 4: The Corridor Lounge of the Caledonia

Another View of the Caledonia Corridor Lounge

Photograph 5: Another View of the Caledonia Corridor Lounge

The Italian Smoking Room of the Caledonia

Photograph 6: The Italian Smoking Room of the Caledonia

An Alcove in the Caledonia Smoking Room

Photograph 7: An Alcove in the Caledonia Smoking Room

A Caledonia Stateroom with Private Bath

Photograph 21: A Caledonia Stateroom with Private Bath

Return to Top of Page

Steamship and Ocean Liner Vintage and Historical Brochures

Search The Archives

Google Custom Search

Allan Line Brochures

Dominion Line Brochures